Shafts!

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
Once fitted for a set of clubs, would the shaft be the same for different heads? I'm mainly talking irons, though the same could be asked for woods.

You get fitted for head X and the best shaft is shaft A.

If you try head Y, would shaft A still work best or would you need to try different ones again.

Would the different head create different soon rates, launch angles etc.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It may work, but then again it may not.
The shaft is a timing device designed to get the clubbed back to the ball at the desired speed, loft etc etc etc..
Change the head characteristics and you may need a different shaft.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with above - if the heads are similar it might be fine, but if they are different weights, different loft profiles etc, then maybe not.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Agree with above - if the heads are similar it might be fine, but if they are different weights, different loft profiles etc, then maybe not.
Head Weight (+/- a gram) will be the same for any particular numbered iron - irrespective of brand! It's the only thing that WILL be 'the same' - as it has been for a very long time! e.g. a 7 iron is 422 gms!

Oh, and to answer the OP's question....Probably! Though if markedly changing the 'style' of head (eg to/from Blades from/to Game Improvement irons) then a re-assessment would probably be best.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto to Foxholer's comment re the actual weight of the head unless a very unusual design.

If you are thinking about switching the actual shafts from one head to another variables could be hosel depths ,shaft/hosel diameter and different manufacturers may fit a different shaft in to a given head (e.g some may use a 6 iron shaft in a 7 iron head).

The shafts I use stopped being made some time ago and I have successfully switched them 3 times.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Head Weight (+/- a gram) will be the same for any particular numbered iron - irrespective of brand! It's the only thing that WILL be 'the same' - as it has been for a very long time! e.g. a 7 iron is 422 gms!

Oh, and to answer the OP's question....Probably! Though if markedly changing the 'style' of head (eg to/from Blades from/to Game Improvement irons) then a re-assessment would probably be best.

Ditto to Foxholer's comment re the actual weight of the head unless a very unusual design.

If you are thinking about switching the actual shafts from one head to another variables could be hosel depths ,shaft/hosel diameter and different manufacturers may fit a different shaft in to a given head (e.g some may use a 6 iron shaft in a 7 iron head).

The shafts I use stopped being made some time ago and I have successfully switched them 3 times.

Not sure that is correct. Mizuno produce heads in 3 different weights; A for standard length steel shaft clubs, B for over length steel shafted clubs & G for graphite shafted standard & over length clubs.

http://mizunofitters.com/assets/us/resources/custom_fit_trainer.pdf

Whilst the weights & progression will be similar between manufacturers I don't think it is correct to say they will be the same.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure that is correct. Mizuno produce heads in 3 different weights; A for standard length steel shaft clubs, B for over length steel shafted clubs & G for graphite shafted standard & over length clubs.

Whilst the weights & progression will be similar between manufacturers I don't think it is correct to say they will be the same.

I am sure that what Foxholer said and what I know from having weighed quite a few heads that they are roughly the same and swing weighting will change that by some degree any way.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I stand (well, sit back) (somewhat) corrected. There are a;ways 'special cases'! And extra long shafts probably justify a reduced head weight. But certainly 'standard' clubs have 'the same' head weights across models and manufacturers.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stand (well, sit back) (somewhat) corrected. There are a;ways 'special cases'! And extra long shafts probably justify a reduced head weight. But certainly 'standard' clubs have 'the same' head weights across models and manufacturers.
Given the weight of irons are roughly the same over the OEMs.
I do wonder why there is no standard of stiffness in shafts.
So one stiff is the same as another.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Given the weight of irons are roughly the same over the OEMs.
I do wonder why there is no standard of stiffness in shafts.
So one stiff is the same as another.
Shaft weight can certainly vary widely within and across OEMS! Steel shafts can vary from around 85 gms to 130gms!
There's a recognised scale for (overall) stiffness - based on frequency of ocillaation. However, different shafts can vary WHERE the 'stiffness' is 'felt' (the shaft profile!).
So one 'Stiff' could well be significantly different from another!

evemccc

Visit site
Having been fit for a hybrid with graphite shaft, (and tried a Ping 425 driver) I could not believe quite how much difference there was between all the different shafts I tried

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Once fitted for a set of clubs, would the shaft be the same for different heads? I'm mainly talking irons, though the same could be asked for woods.

You get fitted for head X and the best shaft is shaft A.

If you try head Y, would shaft A still work best or would you need to try different ones again.

Would the different head create different soon rates, launch angles etc.
When I got fitted for irons last autumn the same shaft didn't work equally well in all heads, so it was a question of finding the best combination.