Titelist 910D 10.5deg
Setting: B2
Shaft: Diamana 'Ahina 72 Low-Mid Flex-S

My problem is this:

The distances I average are as follows:
Hybrid: 210-220 Yards
3-Wood: 250-270 Yards
Driver: 230-250 Yards

Is there anything in the setup above that suggests a reason why I can quite comfortably out-hit my driver with my 3-wood? Based on my Hybrid and 3-wood distances why arent I getting 260-290 out of my driver?

They are 2nd Hand clubs so I have heard that shafts can deteriorate over time but anything else look obvious?

All advice gratefully received

Thanks!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum

The gap from hybrid to 3 wood looks big (for the clubs and specs) and the driver numbers obviously just horrid relatively. Id wonder if you are delofting everything in some way meaning that the 3 wood is getting you optimal loft and the driver is just launching too low (whats the ball flight like?). Otherwise would be worried Id bought a fake driver otherwise.

Can you get on a launch monitor to check the numbers (maybe book an MOT at your local direct golf if they have one, ok theyll try and sell you new clubs but at worst you can see waht numbers your current clubs are producing). Alternatively do any of the guys you play with have similar driver that you could put their driver shaft into your driver head and vice versa to see how much difference it makes?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As the shafts are changeable, try swapping the 3Wood shaft into the Driver one during a practice round.

Or a mate's 910 head to check yours isn't duff.

Are you making the same (aggressive?) swing with the Driver as you are with the 3Wood?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Ahina is a low spin low launch shaft. The Ilima is a high launch mid spin shaft. I'm betting that ahina is a poor fit for your swing whereas the Ilima suits you nicely. They are pretty opposite in playing characteristics.
Can you get your mitts on a kaili or Ilima shaft to try in your driver?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are the distances quoted guesstimates through course play &/or driving range sessions just judging by eye where they land? Or are they bona fide Launch Monitor numbers? Carry + roll out?

What's the actual monitored & measures club head speeds/ball speeds/spin rates/launch angles here, for Driver, 3 metal, hybrid that are giving these distances?

What's the overall shot shapes/trajectories & dispersion with them?

The 910's aren't that old that the shafts would deteriorate {unless stored in minus temperatures for a good deal of time} unless the shaft was faulty to start with, though that in itself would a ways unusual & unlikely.

Is it a D2 or D3?

Have you taken the driver to a Titleist account holder to verify it's genuine? Both shaft & head? Anyone checked the driver clubhead out for any hairline cracks?

If the club is the true deal, then my hunch would be it's a set-up, technique & swing intent with the driver (re- ball position, tee height, posture, AoA etc) Won't go into that now but would be able to give you a few things to work on with this if you wanted.

If you have a Pro or Cat 1, LH friend/acquaintance get them to hit the driver to see those results.

If you have a Pro or Cat 1, RH guy you can get to help with a 910 or 913 (wouldn't be overmuch difference in either of these heads as long as it's the same size, D2/D3) just put your shaft in the RH head & see what results the guy has with the shaft.

Guessing you may well find they'd have no problem with it, so then you'd be pretty sure it was down to set-up & technique.

Although the two shafts, 3 metal & driver do have different launch characteristics that alone wouldn't produce that relative large disparity in distance performance. This can be seem by the fact that the hybrid R shaft not giving you the realtive 'extra' distance you would expect, given the 3 metal S shaft result!

Shafts just provide the ability to fine tune flights, different shafts only really affect ball flight by up to 400 maybes 500 rpms at most. Those two shafts would not be that a ways far apart to produce those numbers, if both shafts are genuine & the driver head is perfectly sound.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Ahina is a low spin low launch shaft. The Ilima is a high launch mid spin shaft. I'm betting that ahina is a poor fit for your swing whereas the Ilima suits you nicely. They are pretty opposite in playing characteristics.
Can you get your mitts on a kaili or Ilima shaft to try in your driver?

That would be my thinking too. You might suit a higher launch better and the 3 wood shaft is a bit shorter so you are probably making better contact with it. Ilima is a much overlooked but very solid shaft.

You could also split the difference and go for a Kaili in the driver.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That would be my thinking too. You might suit a higher launch better and the 3 wood shaft is a bit shorter so you are probably making better contact with it. Ilima is a much overlooked but very solid shaft.

You could also split the difference and go for a Kaili in the driver.

30-40 yards difference between expectation and result seems a bit more than just a shaft issue though!

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
I know it's been said many times before - and I know it sounds boring - but unless you have been specifically fitted for any of your clubs, then the performance is pure guesswork, luck, or a combination of both. It's worth noting the OP is basically using off the shelf clubs with stock shaft offerings which are basically aimed at 3 different types of golfer. Expecting them ALL to perform within expectations is a little bit of wishful thinking really. Without getting fitted for length, weight, bend profile and flex (for each club) it's more or less a random turkey shoot. There are some clues (like you seem to hit a shorter, more flexible club easier) but this is far from conclusive. There is nothing totally obvious other than you are hoping an off-the-shelf club will fit your game - bit of a stretch realistically and your stats go some way to confirm this. Fortunately, Titleist offer a comprehensive custom fitting service and it's worth seeing if other options will suit your game better - whatever they may be. 910 series have interchangeable shafts so this should be pretty straightforward, but don't expect to get anything from tweaking the loft and lie settings to transform your game. These settings are basically to fine-tune your overall set up rather than correcting any swing flaws or quirks - or make up for what you may be lacking in some other department (i.e. - a poorly fitting club in the first place).
In summary, everyone has made good points, but without seeing raw data and a swing video, any recommendation on shafts or settings (other than going to get fitted) is just as bad as guessing yourself.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Shafts just provide the ability to fine tune flights, different shafts only really affect ball flight by up to 400 maybes 500 rpms at most. Those two shafts would not be that a ways far apart to produce those numbers, if both shafts are genuine & the driver head is perfectly sound.

Completely agree with Coach on this one.

Shaft selection fine tunes and the Ilima vs. Ahina, whilst completely different profiles, would not on their own result in the woeful difference between driver and 3 wood.

You're either doing something very different with your driver swing, or the 910 driver head is knackered.