Shaft Question

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

There's a bit of qualification required to this.

Some folk, and i think i am one, have an unconscious hesitancy hitting a shaft 1" longer than their 'max' efficient one - so the supposed extra speed, from the greater arc, is more than compensated for (negatively) by a slower actual swing!

But the robot swings used by companies to 'demonstrate' increased length can certainly increase ball-speed, therefore distance, with a longer shaft.

A lighter shaft is the way to increase swing speed for me!

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, the post was qualified by the question - "if hit properly". Open to interpretation perhaps, but generally speaking golfers would be better off with shaft lengths which allowed them to hit the ball more constantly in the centre of the club face. No surprise that this is generally shafts which are not too long to control effectively. Since the question didn't really state 1" longer than what (38" is longer than 37" for example), it is simply reflected by the physics rather than the probability.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
I should have also asked, what extra distance could be expected with the extra inch.

It depends on the overall length in the first place. The increase is exponential based on the given swing speed. As a general rule of thumb, the increase in distance will be 5-10 yards based on 44" driver versus a 45" at the same swing speed and launch angle.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
if they keep doing the same thing they will get the same result....

To answer your initial question, where did the increase in ball speed with the wave shaft come from? Is the shaft actually lighter than the control comparison or not? Did the ball speed come from swinging it faster? In which case, of course it will go further if the ball speed and launch angle is better than the comparison. If they're claiming an extra 4mph of ball speed with no extra effort simply because of the shaft design, I'm calling BS.