Shaft Question

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I had a fitting today for a Titleist Driver. The guy recommended I get a 910 D2 10.5 degree with a Stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Kai'li 65 Mid S shaft (weight 65g, Torque 4.2, Flex Mid, Traj Mid), however I also tried an older 909 D2 which I actually prefered the feel off the clubface, it had a Voodoo shaft which felt a little too whippy, but the guy didn't seem interested in looking at shafts for a 909 for me (not really surprised!!!) I have noticed on Golfbidder they have a 909 9.5 degree with a Stiff Matrix Ozik Xcon-5 shaft (weight 59g, Torque 4.0, Flex Mid, Traj Mid).

My question is because the numbers of both shafts are pretty similar, will they do a similar job?

I am pretty dim when it comes to the relative merits of different shafts, any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks, Peter

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The basic numbers give an idea, but can't account for feel. There are also a load of other technical factors which tell you how stiff the butt section, middle and tip are respectively. Matrix shafts tend to be a bit butt stiff but tip soft. If you found the (Made for Titleist) Voodoo a bit soft in stiff, I think you would find the same (or worse) with the Matrix. It is also a Made for Titleist shaft and is a soft smooth feeling high launch shaft. It was the stock shaft for the 909D Comp which is intended for higher handicappers who have trouble flighting the ball.

PS. I know it says mid launch, but it is really a high launch shaft and spins more than the Voodoo.

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

So, in your opinion, if it has a softer tip, would it compensate for 9.5 degree rather than a 10.5 degree?

Also, am I right in thinking that higher spin rate causes a loss of distance?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

So, in your opinion, if it has a softer tip, would it compensate for 9.5 degree rather than a 10.5 degree?

Also, am I right in thinking that higher spin rate causes a loss of distance?

A certain amount of spin is needed to get the ball flighted, otherwise it will dive to ground, but too much spin will cause it to balloon. The right amount depends on swing speed and launch angle.

A softer tip helps elevate the ball, but is usually also a feature of a generally softer shaft, and good players often find those to be a bit hooky or too easy to turn over.

If you are a 6, you must have a decent swing, and possibly a fast one, and you have also already found the Voodoo soft, so if I was you, I would hang on until you find something more suitable. There will be loads of 909s available as people upgrade and shops shift old stock, and you might find one with a custom upgrade to something like a real (as opposed to Made for Titleist) Diamana Blueboard.

Out of interest, do you know your clubhead speed, or how far would you normally carry the ball with a driver and with a 6 iron?

A

Alex1975

Keep a good eye on ebay, I have just been lucky enough to get a 909 with a custom shaft. I would suggest typing Titleist 909 in rather than serching the Titliest section, if that makes scense.

As I looked through the items I checked the shafts out and read about there characteristics(knowing I was looking for mid lunch, mid spin stiff, then I made a list of things to bit on and in what order.

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Trackman data with a Driver:

Clubhead speed 93-95 MPH
Carry 210-225 yards
Total 235-245yards
Smash 1.5

They are the only numbers that I can really remember, and there was quite a strong wind blowing across from left to right, which may affect the numbers?

On the course I carry a 6 iron 165-175 yards

Thank you once again for any help

peterlav

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thank you for the link to the chart.

I have narrowed it down to either a Matrix Ozik Xcon-5 or a Diamana Red board 63 both in 9.5 degree, I may have to buy both and then send back whichever one I don't like.

Thank you for your help