Shaft Question

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
When looking at shafts in clubs what so the numbers stand for? Or 65 etc, Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have no idea! I understand the r for regular etc! Cheers guys don't be too hard on me!

On woods it tends to be the weight of the shaft eg Motore 70 is a 70 gram shaft. On irons it depends on the make Eg Project X Precison rifle 6.0 is stiff 7 would be extra stiff etc. You wuld really need to say what make of shaft you are looking at.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
weight and flex of shaft are independent, for eg aldila do shafts at 65g, 75g or 85g and in each you can get regular, stiff or extra stiff flex.

usually a lighter shaft translates to a slightly faster swingspeed, a heavier shaft to a slower but arguably more controlled swing but it can still be a personal preference.

normally you will see people have a lighter shaft in their driver than they do in the fairway woods

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Weight and flex are pertly independent, in that although weight is not the main determinant of flex per se, stiffer shafts will tend to be heavier, as a general rule. Also, a heavier version of any given shaft will play a bit stiffer then a lighter version of the same shaft.

Fairway woods usually have a heavier shaft than drivers, often about 20 grams, say for a shaft of 75-85 grams, because of the shorter shaft and the need to maintain swingweight.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My swing speed is a bit slower so a heavier shaft may be the better option.

Not necessary so as Ethan said the heavier shaft the more likly it will be stiff.

And thats not what want with a slow swing speed.