Shaft Pitting Help.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm hoping for some help/advice....

Was moving all my gear into a carry bag for the winter and noticed a couple of the irons have very minor (i.e. one or two spots) of rust appearing on them.

I realise this is probably due to my lack of care in general but was wondering if there is a way to remove these before it becomes too bad?

I take it oiling the shafts regulary will stop this in future? If so, how regularly do you oil them?

Thanks for your help.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It depends where it's starting from. On the outside it can be brushed off... but if there is interior rusting you can't fix this. It's time for a reshaft.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends where it's starting from. On the outside it can be brushed off... but if there is interior rusting you can't fix this. It's time for a reshaft.

Thanks Jonny

It's just on the outside of the shaft. I think I've probably not let my bag dry off enough before putting them back in after a wet day.

To brush them off is it fine wire wool or something?

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Up to you really. Wire wool would be abrasive enough to get it off... The problem is that it won't get all of it off and rust is like a virus. It will spread even from the smallest particle. And you might take some chrome off with the wire wool so that the shaft rusts underneath the chroming leading to the nasty peeling look you get.

If you want a proper repair you need to make the rust inert. Car repair shops will have something for that. Although with the price of this stuff and a replacement putter shaft going for 10-15 quid I'd just reshaft it if it's that much of a problem to be honest.

After all it's purely cosmetic. Pitting on a putter isn't going to affect the playability of the club at all.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Jonny,

Thanks for your help.

It's not my putter, it's a couple of the irons.

I'm going to try and get it off with some wire wool and then oil them to see if that helps...

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
Your better off using scotchbrite or something similar than wire wool. Wire wool is too coarse and will damage the surface of the chrome, which if moisture penetrates will lead to more problems. As Jonny said treat the affected bits with proprietory rust convertor - make sure that you clean any excess off straight away or it could stain the chrome.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your better off using scotchbrite or something similar than wire wool. Wire wool is too coarse and will damage the surface of the chrome, which if moisture penetrates will lead to more problems. As Jonny said treat the affected bits with proprietory rust convertor - make sure that you clean any excess off straight away or it could stain the chrome.

Thanks sweatysock. I'll see if I can get some rust convertor this weekend, hopefully will sort the problem out....