Shaft Flex

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've had a search through the forum but can't find a definitive guide to my question .
How do the various shaft flex ratings relate to the golfer/swing ?...and i'm thinking mainly here of Drivers/woods
i.e Does a golfer that has slow head speed benefit from a stiff flex or a more whippy action ? and vice versa with a player that swings very fast.

Or are there any other variables in an individuals swing that also determine the optimum shaft flex rating ?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the early days, graphite shafts were (often) rated 80/90/100 to reflect the swing (club-head) speed.
These days, you don't see much of this, but essentialy a regular (R) shaft is going to cover a wide range from 75-95 mph (driver speed). Ideally a player should utilise the stiffest shaft possible. A stiff shaft (S) could be considered for as little as 90 mph, but this might lead to difficulties in getting the ball up or pushing the shot.
But the current shaft specs are difficult to gauge without some testing, preferrably with a launch monitor. I've just changed my irons from standard steel to stiff graphite.....the difference is incredible.....I'd never have considered stiff.

ball_basher

Assistant Pro
Visit site
with a slower swing you would be better off with a regular flex shaft and a fast swing either firm or stiff , if your gonna be spending £££s then i would say go to a decent pro shop and have your swing looked at so they can determine what is best for your swing , good luck ...

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
and just to add to the mix, what one manufacturer calls Regular may be called something entirely different by another. there is no industry standard.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In general, the whippyer the shaft the more power, but less control. The stiffer the shaft, the more control, but, less power.
Therefore to my thinking, you should play with the whippyest shaft you can still control, to maintain the best power.

Go see a pro.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it just gives the shaft 3 types of varient with each flex. If its high then more of the sahft can flex and there for generate more whip, (think of twanging a ruler from the bottom)

With a low kick point only the bottom of the sahft has some play in it and it doesnt whip as much but i would imagine builds more torque up that is released at impact.

Mid kick would be in between.

Of course i could be speaking absolute crud but this is how i imagine it!

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As I understand it, a low kick point gives a high launch.
I have just returned a club which has a mid kick point shaft and it launched too low for me.