Shaft flex question

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just a quickie ;)

Can playing with the wrong flex shaft cause the clubface to be open at impact, and if so, would it be too firm or too soft that causes it?

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
The torque of the shaft can lead the head to twist at impact.

The higher torque rating the smoother the shaft feels
The lower the boardy the shaft feels but is a little more stable.

I don't think there is a industry standard on torque just like shaft flex so a good custom fitting is needed unless you are lucky.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
this was the problem with my package driver; the shaft had too high a twisting moment (torque) so as I started to swing faster (and no more than average) I'd beat the clubhead to the ball and it was still open at impact. for me it promoted massive, U-bend, slices.
DG used their speed detector and anything over 72 was guaranteed to slice and I was up to 88 by then.

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
... the shaft had too high a twisting moment (torque) so as I started to swing faster (and no more than average) I'd beat the clubhead to the ball and it was still open at impact. for me it promoted massive, U-bend, slices.
I think that's a problem I had when I had a cheap driver with a multi-flex shaft on it...I could slice that like it was nobody's business. Although I can still hit a monster slice on occasions, it's because my hands are way ahead of the clubhead, thus leaving it wide open. But with my G5 and stiff shaft I'm far straighter than with any other driver I've bashed at the range.