Set-up distance from ball.

aaronjunited

Hacker
Visit site
Ok i think im having trouble with the distance i am from the ball at set-up.

Mainly with irons im probably to close to the ball. I can have some nice long straight shots and then next shot i top the ball, slice or hook it. I know im not hitting consistenly. I cant seem to find consistency for a whole round, if any id be hitting 2-4 nice shots in a row.

So im doing something different obviously when i dont make proper contact with the ball like i should be doing.

I did some testing, and stood slighty further back from the ball with a 6 iron, it felt almost like i was leaning back further and i could see the shaft was at more of an angle to the ground instead of being straighter when closer to the ball.

I made a nice wide swing and bingo the ball flew up and straight. Sometimes i can do this when im closer to the ball.
I just dont know whats happening.

Anyone??

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't give an answer exactly, but it has often crossed my mind that *if* a player was to always adopt the same posture, then the distance would always be the same, give or take a few cm's.
My posture has been rubbish, and I've been practising turning with my head against a wall. Again, if I was always getting in an identical position every time, then my toes would always be "x" cm's from the skirting board?

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
i think that a lot of tops, fats etc are caused more by lateral sway or lateral movement of yoru head to teh left and right during teh backswing and downswing, (rather than how far you are from teh ball), albeit it does sound like you are finding a better posture

A pro once showed me that when standing addressing the ball, you coudl lie the end of teh clubonto your left knee - now that's not a receipe for setting up for every shot, but tends to work quite well in checking whether your standard set up is about right

What many people forget however, is that at the point of dynamic impact, the angles between your upper arm and your forearm, and between your forearm and teh shaft will straighten out due to centripetal action, and therefore if setting up in a static (pre-shot) state, give allowance for the club to actully return to teh ball further away from you

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
A pro once showed me that when standing addressing the ball, you could lie the end of teh club onto your left knee - now that's not a receipe for setting up for every shot, but tends to work quite well in checking whether your standard set up is about right

I did this! :) I even marked an X on my trousers in pen.

i.i.r.c. I played whole rounds using this method.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
A pro once showed me that when standing addressing the ball, you could lie the end of teh club onto your left knee - now that's not a receipe for setting up for every shot, but tends to work quite well in checking whether your standard set up is about right

I don't understand this could someone explain I think I'm in thicko mode tonight

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site

I don't understand this could someone explain I think I'm in thicko mode tonight

I've read sometrhing similar before. If you set up with any club, then lower the club onto your left leg, then the top of the club shoudl hit your leg a couple on inches above kneee, so for longer clubs,you stand a little further away from ball, with driver being furthest back, as longest club...that's the gist anyway. I#ll let others decide on whether this is a good/accurate guide

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've never heard of this method to measure the 'correct' (said loosely) distance away from the ball.

The most common way is to stand as you do normally at address then remove your top hand, spread the fingers out wide and make sure there is a full hands span between your waist/groin area and where your hands are.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Today my mate told me to stand far away from the ball - so my arms were stretched right out.

As a result I was smashing the ball straight and far.