• Yes

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 1147

Just seen a tweet about this.

Would anyone fancy watching a seniors version every even year?
The chance to watch Monty, Phil, DL3, Olly etc doing battle again.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Given the right format I think it could work.
You're not going to get them playing 4somes and 4 balls on the same day so some jiggling of the format would be needed.
Maybe teams of 8
4 pairs play 4somes AM, the other 4 play 4 balls PM
Reverse day 2
8 singles on day 3.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
In all honesty? Not really. Too many team events like that will take a little gloss of the main event. I’d rather wait two years for some genuine atmosphere and three days on the sofa in front of my TV, with beer and takeaways for company.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do not think it would work as the players who NOW top the seniors charts are mainly not very well known.
It would have to be invitational to make it box office.
It then becomes an exhibition match.

D

Deleted member 18588

Definitely not!

When your time is up just quietly leave the stage don't hang around hoping to be called for an encore.

As DfT said the top guys on the Champions Tour are not always those that were stars "back in the day".

And how much strength in depth is there to enable a meaningful European team to be put together.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
USA v Rest of the World
Sticker Langer
Furyk Clarke
Couples Montgomerie
Mickelson Jiminez
Toms Karlsson
Lehmann Els
O'Meara Goosen
DL3 Singh

No names there..........:unsure:

D

Deleted member 15344

It would be better than the Presidents Cup for one

Can certainly see the appeal for a decent tournament

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just don't think it would have the edge of the real thing.

I think you're right. and that'd be a good thing.
It'd be a very relaxed kind of thing with loads of interviews with stories of yore.
I think it would be very informal and very watchable.
It would just be 'nice'.
A golf equivalent of Mortimer & Whitehouse go Fishing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given that coverage of most Seniors events is limited to a one hour highlights programme not sure the broadcasters would go for 3 days solid cover.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not interested. If they (whom ever they are) want a seniors team event why not make it something unique. All the old codgers from the different continents in some kind of round robin 4BBB matchplay event.

DCB

Visit site
An event like that could be great TV if they choose the right courses. Shorter, slightly easier and it could see some low scoring and exciting matches. It'd be worth watching I think.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Monty is quite good on this..

“They’ve been talking about this for a while and now we have enough competitive players it would be on the cards. The early part of the week at a Ryder Cup is a bit dead and the players might play nine holes. So the course is empty but the crowds are there and the stands are up so we could come in and play. There would be no cost as everyone is there anyway and it would give the crowd something to cheer on – we think it’s overdue and that we could do this.

“Bernhard Langer has said the same, Davis Love would be on board, Fred Couples too. We’ve had the conversation and it would just be a matter of formulating it and getting the powers that be to go ahead with it. It would never take the gloss away from the main event, if anything it would make the event even more special as you can’t compete with the real thing. And it would be great to try and emulate some famous matches – Darren Clarke and I played Couples and Love at Valderrama and that could happen again.”

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
/\ So Monty thinks it could maybe escalate as high as a warm up friendly on a Tuesday/Wednesday before the real thing.

I think if that's the height of their expectation and ambition, kind of says it all really.

Sure, but in this format it could work. As a stand alone, no chance.