Senior weekly Fiddle

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have been holding our fiddle successfully each week for about 10 years,and have been using our own handicapping system that gives the high handicapper more chance of winning,we only use our handicap system for our pay out only,and for the 2 memorial comps we play over the summer months,these are nothing to do with the official club comps,we now know we must put our cards in for the club to update our winter/summer handicap.
We don't have a problem with this,but the question is can Congu or our club insist we play for our fiddle money and our own friendly comps only by using our official handicap?
We can play our fiddle on a Thursday, put our scores in on the computer ,for our club handicap,but then can we use our own fiddle handicap for the payouts and our own private comps,anyone in the club who are seniors can turn up pay their entry fee and play for the money and club comps but not throughout the day as its a fiddle comp
help please...

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
No, they can't.

They can calculate any adjustments that need to be made using your official handicap but when it comes to your own enjoyment you can do play to whatever rules/handicap you like.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The main thing I see is that you are putting the scores on the computer. As such this would make it a qualifying competition and should be played according to CONGU and R&A rules

I would see no problem with having your own arrangement if you were just maintaining it manually as a lot of swindles do.

If you wish to do it manually the club can use the results as part of the annual handicap review.

D

Deleted member 15344

The main thing I see is that you are putting the scores on the computer. As such this would make it a qualifying competition and should be played according to CONGU and R&A rules

I would see no problem with having your own arrangement if you were just maintaining it manually as a lot of swindles do.

If you wish to do it manually the club can use the results as part of the annual handicap review.
You can set up the Comp as NQ on the System - doesn’t automatically become a Q because you are using the system

The question I would ask is why are the club asking you to put your scores in ?

Are these comps Qualfying comps ? Are the using the full course , using Congu HC etc , putting out

Is it just the two “memorial” comps they are asking you to use ?

Plenty fiddles use their own HC system but it’s not needed on a computer

But if your Memorial are proper comps etc then you need to put them via the Qualfying System

How you pay our prizes is up to you

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree that you can determine whatever scoring system you want for your informal comptition.

I think a solution to having to submit cards, would be to play 4 ball better ball matchplay while you are playing your competition. You probably do this anyway.

Players can also mark their cards for best gross / net / stableford etc. but pretty sure you wouldn't be expected to submit cards with a matchplay element to it, as you would expect to make different decisions than if playing solely in a strokeplay / stableford competition.

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can set up the Comp as NQ on the System - doesn’t automatically become a Q because you are using the system

The question I would ask is why are the club asking you to put your scores in ?

Are these comps Qualfying comps ? Are the using the full course , using Congu HC etc , putting out

Is it just the two “memorial” comps they are asking you to use ?

Plenty fiddles use their own HC system but it’s not needed on a computer

But if your Memorial are proper comps etc then you need to put them via the Qualfying System

How you pay our prizes is up to you[/QUOTE

We have been told that all regular roll ups should submit their cards on a home and away basis to allow official congu handicaps can be adjusted.
As it stands the fiddle is not part of a club qualifier.
Our memorial comps are unofficial and are not adopted by the club.
We pay our monies out on that days results,and adjust our handicaps in line with our fiddle handicap and not the congu club handicap and award our unofficial trophy's based on our own fiddle handicap system on the full course ,on results over the season.
We do however play home and away matches with other golf clubs using our club name ,and it as been indicated that if we don't do exactly what the committee tell us to do then maybe we cant use the club name or course. Bearing in mind it is a municipal course and the council may have a say in that as we bring 24/32 dining customers in ever time we play at home.
Tow the club line or.........

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have been told that all regular roll ups should submit their cards on a home and away basis to allow official congu handicaps can be adjusted.

I think that the club have got this bit wrong

the edict that came out from the rules bodies is that the club should keep a record of all club swindles/roll up scores and non qualifying away scores and use this information as part of the Annual review process.

This information can be found on the england golf website in the rules and handicapping section.