Senior Open Competitions age restrictions

howlsatthemoon

Visit site
My local club has a senior open coming up soon with age restricted to 50+ for ladies and 55+ for gents.

Rather disappointed that my wife can play in it but I cannot, even though we are both same age, but she is more peeved off that she is classed as a senior and I am not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do any other clubs have different views of when you become a senior.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
In many golf associations, females are seniors at 50, males at 55. No explanations provided.
Are not most associations though either male or female only. As I understand it when national associations were seperated by gender, males became a senior at 55 females at 50. EG were consulting on equalising them at 50, though I'm not sure where thats gone.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most in Northumberland, men, are 55. My previous club was 60 for reasons unknown.

In Scotland they seem to be 50 so I pop over the border once or twice a year to play in those, I'm currently 54.

Not sure why there isn't a consistent approach

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We play a lot of South Western Region senior friendlies and the club's vary quite a bit. 50, 55 and 60.

One of my mates was DQed in one (a long with the rest of the team) because he had not read it was 60.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There's a big difference between 55 and 60 in terms of distance.
Most of us start to lose a few yards each year once we reach 60 or so.

I think 60 is a better benchmark for becoming a senior.
I don't know how ladies distances change with age but I see no reason why they should be any different.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Oi, clear off 😡. I nearly qualify for cheap away days off yellow tees. Don't take that away from me when I'm so close. 😄

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I retired at 55 in 2019. I moved to Lancashire and joined Fleetwood, qualifying as a senior (55+). The seniors play in two local leagues, one of which had a minimum age of 55, as I would have expected, but the other was still specifying a minimum age of 60, so I couldn't play in that one.

Fortunately, the following year that league fell in line with the norm and reduced their age limit to 55.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I don't know how ladies distances change with age but I see no reason why they should be any different.
I only started playing at 52 and nine years later I am hitting it as far as I have done. However, I suspect that will start to slowly drop away in the next few years.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We changed from 60 to 55 this year for club senior comps and team matches. All those fixtures are weekdays so the 55 to 60 chaps are mostly working not playing golf.
It has not made much difference.

We have two mens opens, AmAm best 2 from 4, one is over-60 and the other is over-70. They did not change this year and I see no need for them to change.

All county seniors stuff is over 55 and has been so for yonks.

Don't know what it is for ladies.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
By the same extent, should we not have junior comps then? It's not always bad to separate people out, there can be a good reason for it.

I can't see what is good about separating men from women in a sport which has a handicap system that should balance up mixed abilities.

I'd be interested to hear the views of those that disagree.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I can't see what is good about separating men from women in a sport which has a handicap system that should balance up mixed abilities.

I'd be interested to hear the views of those that disagree.

The key is the highlighted bit

It doesn’t balance up mixed abilities

And when it comes for mixing comps a lot of the opposition to it comes from Lady members

Many are very happy to continue to play in Ladies only comps

All our medals and Stablefords are open to all at the weekends

Not one single ladies comps was changed to allow anyone to enter

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The key is the highlighted bit

It doesn’t balance up mixed abilities

And when it comes for mixing comps a lot of the opposition to it comes from Lady members

Many are very happy to continue to play in Ladies only comps

All our medals and Stablefords are open to all at the weekends

Not one single ladies comps was changed to allow anyone to enter

So the system needs addressing then - there is no logical reason for men and women to not compete in the same events at club level.

If you've got ladies and mens comps, you need to wipe the slate clean and start again. There is nothing to stop the lady members grouping up and playing together - that is absolutely their choice.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
So the system needs addressing then - there is no logical reason for men and women to not compete in the same events at club level.

If you've got ladies and mens comps, you need to wipe the slate clean and start again. There is nothing to stop the lady members grouping up and playing together - that is absolutely their choice.

It’s not going to happen

There will be always been

Mens , Ladies , seniors and Junior comps

As there is many sports

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It’s not going to happen

There will be always been

Mens , Ladies , seniors and Junior comps

As there is many sports

I think you'll find over time that will change, a lot of clubs already no longer segregate men from women in competitions.

Of course there will always be comps for seniors and juniors, they tend to be during the week or school holidays as well - but back to the original point - nobody should be be classified as a 'senior' at a different age to somebody else, because they may or may not have a penis or breasts. (y)