Suicide or Inspired?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a golfing wife and we are members of the same club. We dont play golf together much but do enter many of the mixed comps and club mixed team matches.

She does stripe the ball though, she has a bright 'Pinkomatic' driver, she is around 5'2" tall and I have seen many mens jaws drop when she hits the thing a country mile. We do have some golfing Holidays that we enjoy and you can get some great deals.

As much as I love the old girl to bits and enjoy some of the social aspects of mixed golf, I would rather stick pins in my eyes than for us to play together on a regular weekly basis. It can be a bit like teaching your wife to drive a car, not recommended!!!!!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Took my wife to the pitch and putt when we were 'courting':eek: as back then she was interested in my hobbies :mad: We got to the 6th hole after her hacking and cursing her way around the previous five and she steps up, sends a wedge 60 yards on a beautiful flight, two hops and straight in the hole.......

Needless to say, it has never been forgotten :mad:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Took my wife to the pitch and putt when we were 'courting':eek: as back then she was interested in my hobbies :mad: We got to the 6th hole after her hacking and cursing her way around the previous five and she steps up, sends a wedge 60 yards on a beautiful flight, two hops and straight in the hole.......

Needless to say, it has never been forgotten :mad:

She really shouldn't be throwing golf clubs at the green.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife doesn't understand my need to play golf. We have 2 boys (4 and 2 years old) who I take to the range with me every time I go and they love it. The 2 year old has a mint swing and the 4 year old can flick it 50 yards already. I am planning on getting lessons off them soon...

Now for the crux of the matter. Do I try and get the wife into golf? Christmas is coming and lessons might be an option.

As I see it..

Pro's - Golf holidays will become a reality, she might actually start listening to me when I talk about a controlled draw into the 3rd which finished stone dead only for me to 3 putt and walk off with a bogey, I can buy her stuff that I actuallly want (GPS, Open tickets etc.).

Con's - She might find out that it only takes 3-4 hours to play a round and not the 6 I tell her, she might want to come on the boys golf weekends, she might be better than me!

What's the concencus?

For our female forumers, insert husband/partner where I put wife....

There are two places for women on a mans golf course, in the kitchen and behind the bar. Do not do it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My wife has always liked golf. She watches as much of it on TV as me, has been to the range on the odd occasion, and played the local par 3 and pitch & putt a few times with me and my son, even done a couple of half rounds on the full course with me. She's just finished a set of 6 lessons with one of the pro's at my club (which were given by the pro for free.........she already has a very good basic swing). She plans to keep up with lessons in the new year with a view to playing more frequently next spring.

I'm all for it, doesn't mean we'll be playing together every week, but a common interest makes it a lot easier for either of us to pop out for a few holes any time, and no worries about playing together for some of them.

keef

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is a difficult one for sure. I have been mulling over the same thing for a number of years. I plan to continue mulling it over for a few more years - no rush!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My wife sort or expressed an interest in golf when i started. She had a weeks course of lessons, played a local 9 hole course a few times, bought 2 pairs of shoes 5 pairs of trousers and tops. I got her a set of clubs at the same time. She had a lovely swing really smooth tempo etc. How many times do you thinnk she's shown any interest in playing in the last 5 years????

None!

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like snaphook..... Went to Bath's pitch and put many years ago. Bone dry summer, severe right to left slope to a tiny rock hard brown. Hit the ball about 30 yards right says me to HID. Swings on the advised line, thins it all along the ground, trickles down the slope across the brown and in the hole. Never been allowed to forget it. Me,never had a HIO.
Took her to the club a few years ago. After 6 air shots and a few thins, HID that is, she has never hit a ball since.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife sort or expressed an interest in golf when i started. She had a weeks course of lessons, played a local 9 hole course a few times, bought 2 pairs of shoes 5 pairs of trousers and tops. I got her a set of clubs at the same time. She had a lovely swing really smooth tempo etc. How many times do you thinnk she's shown any interest in playing in the last 5 years????

None!

I do great on Ebay from just the same sort !

DavePhoenix

Medal Winner
Visit site
have been debating this myself for some time....
The Mrs is increadibly competitive, as am I and i'm not sure I want to take that to the golf course!

We played "crazy" golf a while back and she battered me... can't tell you how devastated I was!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Mrs Fragger hates Golf, loathes it which is a shame as I cant talk to her about my rounds.

I would actually like her to take an interest.

I played with Imurg on Fridays while she was at work, for 18 months without her knowing.

Then I got tired of the deception and told her straight that I had joined a club, at the princely cost of £46 per month.

After I had my V-Easy surgically removed, I now just do my own thing

Fragger

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
This is a difficult one for sure. I have been mulling over the same thing for a number of years. I plan to continue mulling it over for a few more years - no rush!

Excellent advice Keef.Will mull it over for a few years. But it seems like the majority of bloggers who have replied are erring on the keep her well away side.