Selling clubs on eBay - postage/compensation costs

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m looking to sell a couple of drivers on eBay, the boxes I’d planned to send them in (recycling boxes that other clubs came in) are both around 125cm long.

All of the ebay recommended postage methods are a max length of 120cm and max compensation of £25 (one driver should fetch around £200).

Parcel force max compo is £100 unless you pay nearly £30 delivery!

What do you all use when selling clubs? Any recommendations?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve used Hermes before without an issue, and trimming the box is a good shout.

Just a bit concerned about sending a £200 club with barely any compensation. Don’t mind with the other club as it’s probably only worth less than £100.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use the box you've got but just cut the sides down at one end so it's under 120cm. The club will fit, trust me. Put the club in the box first then cut the sides right down to where the end of the club is - do that and it'll be under 120.

Edit: Hermes have been fine for all of my Ebay sales. I usually pick them because I feel a higher delivery price puts off buyers.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Try parcel2go for comparison of prices. It will let you put in the value you need insured. As others above have said, trim the box to minimum length needed.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Parcelforce 24 am service. Comes out about £16 and insured for £200 (for a 2 iron I sold and putting mats). I just put the postage at £15 on the listing and call out in using Parcelforce 24 hour service.

For the more expensive items people seem happy to pay the extra for the insured / 24 hour service.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I used Hermes last summer to post a Scotty putter. Took out plenty of insurance to cover it as it was a £250 sale. It didn't arrive, the buyer contacted me chasing, I contacted Hermes who said it was delivered etc. Anyway, several days later the buyer contacts me again to say his neighbour!! had found a package in his recycling bin :rolleyes:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find boxes big enough to have them at an angle so the length comes down to 120

If you are selling a club for £200 I presume the head can detach and that will make it under the length but makes sure the buyer has a tool for refitting it or sell it with one.

I always use myhermes and when I am not in for delivery the driver leaves a note to say where he has left it. You should ask the buyer to name a safe place to leave it so the driver knows where to put it.

No companies take a signature anymore.

Some take photos of where they have left it.

D

Deleted member 25172

This is the photo DHL had taken when I was looking around to find out where my speed stick was that they apparently had delivered last week...

Very helpful. :cautious:

DHL.JPG

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use Hermes for all my stuff and have never had an issue. As others have said. A driver will be under 120 too get get it to the right length

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks all, didn’t realise you can pay extra for higher compo with Hermes so will do that.

They’re like marmite aren’t they. Hear so many bad stories about things being left in bins etc, but our Hermes chap is a bit of a local legend, knows everyone, comes back if you’re out, has a chat etc. We even bumped into him by the shops just before Christmas, had a parcel for us and took the pic stood next to our car! ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all, didn’t realise you can pay extra for higher compo with Hermes so will do that.

They’re like marmite aren’t they. Hear so many bad stories about things being left in bins etc, but our Hermes chap is a bit of a local legend, knows everyone, comes back if you’re out, has a chat etc. We even bumped into him by the shops just before Christmas, had a parcel for us and took the pic stood next to our car! ?

I got to know one very well. She lived locally and If I was out I would pick up from her house. Seems to be more than one now our postcode seems to covered by more than one depot.
Always worth remembering that the one that delivers to you will not be the same as the person delivering to your customer.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Big plus here for parcels2go, we had to send a desk back during lockdown. Parcel force at the post office was just under 40.00, parcel force via parcels2go was 13.00 and I had to drop it to the same post office who had just quoted me 40.00!

I felt guilty as hell but they fully understood.

FWY, post offices have the option to give a discount if you ask for it

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use Interparcel and Parcels2go, much of a muchness overall. I have shipped some quite expensive Scotty Tour stuff internationally and domestically usually using UPS or FedEx, occasionally DHL or TNT, rarely Parcelforce, but I never pay extra for the insurance, and over dozens of shipments have rarely had a problem. Insurance is a bet against loss, and the odds are not worth it.

I will send cheaper stuff by Hermes. Agree to cut down the box to 120 cm, which is doable even for a driver. Wrap the head in bubble wrap if you have it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think it's the same as how some people despise American Golf and some people love them but it just depends on who works in your local one. With Hermes they can be awful or great, it just depends on who's delivering that day. :LOL: I did have a parcel left in the recycling bin once, but luckily we weren't away that week so I got it out before bin day, haha. Other than that one never had a problem with Hermes.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Use the box you've got but just cut the sides down at one end so it's under 120cm. The club will fit, trust me. Put the club in the box first then cut the sides right down to where the end of the club is - do that and it'll be under 120.

Edit: Hermes have been fine for all of my Ebay sales. I usually pick them because I feel a higher delivery price puts off buyers.
Follow Orikoru's instuctions, and you will be able to use Hermes. Use eBay Packlink and you will be able to insure the club for the full price you were paid at a really competitive rate.
The advantages are
Lower cost.
eBay automatically offer compensation for the full selling price.
eBay autofill the address provided by the buyer
eBay provide the tracking for the buyer
A choice of shippers (limited by package size)
If you use the enhanced compensation then by some miracle they appear to have less inclination to lose or damage it.
To use Packlink. After selling click on print label, ignore the royal mail and scroll down to the link for packlink. Follow the instructions.