Sedlescome Golf club - nr hastings

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Due to recent house move I've been looking for a new club and yesterday I played Sedlescombe.

Considering the recent weeks of monsoon conditions the course was in pretty good nick. Some areas were boggy as you'd expect but the fairways and greens seem to have coped pretty well.

I think the course has all the makings to be very good, considering that I've probably just played it at its worst given the conditions.

The first few holes are very much "up and down" but I think the placement of ditches and shape of the fairways make each hole feel slightly different as to get the best position the ball needs to be shaped both ways. It's very much a course of putting the ball in the right position, rather than just being long.

For me it came a live a bit more on the back 9, a couple of the holes were really tricky and I was especially impressed with the 12th which was a 250 yard par 4 which essentially you're forced into laying up on as the green is pretty much surrounded by trees meaning you have to go up and over into a small green - I've never played a hole like it and really enjoyed the challenge.

The other holes all have their own challenges, water, well placed trees etc all make it good fun.

I shot an 89 (+17) off the yellows from a 14 handicap. I'd definitely be braver now with some tee shots as at first its not obvious what the best course of action is on a lot of holes.

I think I may have found a new club :thup:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that where the golf school thingy is?

My mate went there last summer for a residential golf training week. He didn't talk particularly highly of the course though, so not sure if it's the same place.

How far down the A21 is home these days? If further north, I highly recommend my old place, Lamberhurst. Not so good at this time of the year though.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Sedlescome last September and it was enjoyable. I agree the front nine are overshadowed by the back nine but still a good challenge none the less. Thought the club house and restaurant looked lovely. If I lived closer then I'd definitely consider it as a home club.

D

Deleted member 18121

Is that where the golf school thingy is?

My mate went there last summer for a residential golf training week. He didn't talk particularly highly of the course though, so not sure if it's the same place.

How far down the A21 is home these days? If further north, I highly recommend my old place, Lamberhurst. Not so good at this time of the year though.

yeah thats the one, my son goes to a school nearby that luckily enough will use the club for lessons once he's old enough.

I live in St Leonards now, I can see the sea from my living room window. Yeah I'd heard good things about Lamberhurst, never actually got round to playing it.

I was very tempted to go to a "linksy" type of course, but Im going to give Sedlescombe a go for the rest of this year (membership ends in April).

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yeah thats the one, my son goes to a school nearby that luckily enough will use the club for lessons once he's old enough.

I live in St Leonards now, I can see the sea from my living room window. Yeah I'd heard good things about Lamberhurst, never actually got round to playing it.

I was very tempted to go to a "linksy" type of course, but Im going to give Sedlescombe a go for the rest of this year (membership ends in April).

That sounds good.

When I said my mate didn't talk particularly highly of the course, what I really meant was that he didn't talk much about it at all rather than have anything bad to say about it. I think probably because he was exhausted after the morning practice session each day.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Sedlescome many times although it's awhile since I've played it now, I've played many courses around that area and found Sedlescome to be one of the harder courses in the area, it's a good test and has some interesting holes, I didn't like the first hole especially from the tee and while the 12th is a good hole to play I personally would not like to be member there as that hole would become a annoyance to me as I think it's just to awkward to play, but I appreciate that others might find this hole a good challenge.

I always enjoyed Dale Hill better which is not far from Sedelscome.