Season has ended

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well it looks like that’s me done for the season.
Handicap changes .. up 0.5 down 0.1 .. so did not really get going.
Results were poor at the start of the season but I pulled it back, just didn’t get the opportunity to play in those competitions.
Got to the semifinals of the individual match play, given I was not going to enter due to a poor game I am quite pleased.
Got a 5th and 6th place in a 4BBB competition.. was happy with that they would solid performances with both partners.
Won the knockout pairs competition, which was a surprise to us both but we both stepped up at the right time.
I also made a few more golf friends.
So the last part was probably the best bit of the season.

This was the first season I could really get to play, having a wife who runs a weekend business and having a child really makes it hard. But working on Central European time means I get my 40hrs in and can get to the course during the week. Not sure if it will be the same next year.

Biggest improvement point was a slow takeaway which really helped my delivery… hope I remember for next season!! Also confidence and commitment- why does that go with age ?

So I know some will say there is plenty of life left in the season but how did your summer go?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
20c outside, lovely weekend. Time yet for another good round ⌚?

Mine was a slow start then something clicked and I've played really well despite driver problems. Winter is grim, especially when wet..

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
20c outside, lovely weekend. Time yet for another good round ⌚?

Mine was a slow start then something clicked and I've played really well despite driver problems. Winter is grim, especially when wet..
Good luck! I am chained to the sink

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Honestly can’t grumble. After 18 months off my h/c got reactivated at 13.5 from previous 12. Had a few sun 80 rounds, now down to 11.8, semi finals of match play doubles tomorrow and have represented the club numerous times which given I only join in April I’m chuffed with.

biggest achievement of the year is that I’m back enjoying golf again…. In March I wasn’t even sure if I was going to play this year.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
We're drawing to a close in New England as well.
We're a bit less moderate than Old England from my observations.
Our summers are a bit warmer and our winters are a bit colder.

It was a good year because we had a normal season.
Last year was catastrophic. With the covid restrictions, I couldn't be bothered to play at all.
Everybody's inoculated at the club now.
It was a decent summer except for all the rain in July.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We're drawing to a close in New England as well.
We're a bit less moderate than Old England from my observations.
Our summers are a bit warmer and our winters are a bit colder.

It was a good year because we had a normal season.
Last year was catastrophic. With the covid restrictions, I couldn't be bothered to play at all.
Everybody's inoculated at the club now.
It was a decent summer except for all the rain in July.
New England in the Fall. I've always imagined it to be pretty spectacular.
Does an hour north of Boston put you in New Hampshire?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
New England in the Fall. I've always imagined it to be pretty spectacular.
Does an hour north of Boston put you in New Hampshire?
I did a three city holiday a few years back, Vegas, New York and Boston.
Vegas, loved the falseness of the place.
New York, I couldnt wait to get out, especially the over rated dump that’s the Waldorf Astoria.
Boston, I fell in Love with. We travelled from NY to Boston via train. It was fantastic. Most of the way on the coast going through the small towns. It’s hard to believe that New Yorkers and Bostonians are from the same country. The Boston folk are so friendly, the new yorkers, not so.
A dream of Tashyboys is to pull in a two week driving holiday out there, pull in a Pats game and end up on Martha’s I heard or Nantucket.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our season tends to run throughout the year, as we still have monthly stablefords in winter, but mine has been brought to a premature close by major surgery a couple of weeks ago.

Handicap wise the year has been good. My WHS index peaked at 13.8 but I’ve worked hard, and started playing consistently quite well in the run up to my op, getting down to 9.2.

I hope a couple of months off won’t undo all that good work!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think it is obvious that Newcastle was bought because it is a sleeping giant. It is a big club. Any suggestions who else could be bought and invested in. I would say Leeds.

Carlwm

Visit site
???

Sunday, Headingley Golf Club. I owe my mate for a couple of rounds so I've splashed out £90 (big money for me) for the both of us.

I've walked past Headingley Golf Club many times, especially throughout Lockdown. Is it as nice as it looks?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I've walked past Headingley Golf Club many times, especially throughout Lockdown. Is it as nice as it looks?

Yes, it's very good, definitely worth playing. Recently voted the 9th best course in Yorkshire. The Par 3s are perhaps the stand out holes, especially the 17th.

Where do you usually play?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no 'season' here but we often have non qualifiers in the winter due to too many temp greens.

So far since the end of lockdown I had seen my H.I reach my soft cap and go to 11.1 but have now got it back to 9.2

Good year for the prize pot, mainly from pairs comps and 2s winnings with over £200 in prize money.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been a decent season so far….
H/C started at 10, now down to 7 (and should be a shot or two lower but I’ve played a lot of matchplay games.
Lost in the final of the individual matchplay.
Won the pairs matchplay with Birchy off here.
Won a Saturday comp.
Won a Wednesday comp.
Top 10’s in Presidents Day and Captains Day (along with a couple of others).
Placed in a 36 hole Open at Moray.

Like I said, not a bad year so far, considering the enforced lay off last year…

Carlwm

Visit site
Yes, it's very good, definitely worth playing. Recently voted the 9th best course in Yorkshire. The Par 3s are perhaps the stand out holes, especially the 17th.

Where do you usually play?

I'm a beginner so I'm still mostly playing pay & plays like The Village & Brandon which are both very enjoyable, in fairness. I have played Cookridge which was fun and I'm looking to try a few other "proper" courses nearby.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I'm a beginner so I'm still mostly playing pay & plays like The Village & Brandon which are both very enjoyable, in fairness. I have played Cookridge which was fun and I'm looking to try a few other "proper" courses nearby.

Plenty to go at round Leeds, very fortunate to have so many good courses. Cookridge is nice, first course I broke 90 on and one where I always score well.

Headingley was lovely as usual, great sunny afternoon and a one shot victory over my mate with a round of 88, so it was a good finish to the day ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started season on 6.4
Went up to 7.5 with some shocking putting.
Finished on 6.3.
So a reduction just.
Had a few good scores in a little purple patch .
But some 58s and a 61 from higher cappers ensured I won sweet FA .

Carlwm

Visit site
Plenty to go at round Leeds, very fortunate to have so many good courses. Cookridge is nice, first course I broke 90 on and one where I always score well.

Headingley was lovely as usual, great sunny afternoon and a one shot victory over my mate with a round of 88, so it was a good finish to the day ?

Nice win! (y)

I'm keen to play bigger courses - like Headingley - just need to get a little more consistent. Still have too many days where I hack around like I've never picked up a club before. Strangely enough though, when I played Cookridge, I did better than I expected. Only fourteen holes were playable because of the weather and I got round those in 74. In contrast, I played 18 at the much smaller Village course this morning and only just got my score down to double figures. Had a shocker!

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Headingley is a good test, especially the greens. I've played it 3 times but that was the first time I've broken 90. My friend is a good player but his 10 handicap is mostly on his own course and full of gimmes and drops in the fairways for lost balls. ?

Im not a member of a club, as expense aside, I'm not convinced I'd wouldn't be bored playing the same course all the time and I think I'm a better player for switching courses each week. That said playing the same course is probably a better way to get a lower handicap....

Got the day off work tomorrow, so another round calls! ?