Scotty Newport Beach

AnotherNITBY

Visit site
Purchased a second hand 2004 version of this putter last year. It has the slit in the bottom of the putter, as is usual for the Beach version, but I am struggling to come to terms with the hollow noise it makes when I don't flush it. Anyone else have this problem, and are the newer Studio Style Newports (without the slit) that much better?

Visit site
I have studio style newport 2 (is that the one you mean?) which I got last year and love it - great roll and feel. can't say I have noticed a particular sound on it though.

I remember the old ping ansers used to have that slit in the bottom of the sole plate though was never sure what it was supposed to achieve

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got a studio style newport 2.5. It doesn't have the slit and I can confirm it never makes a hollow noise on off-centre strikes. I definitely prefer it to the older versions.

I know Scotties are expensive but I think it's always worth splashing out on a putter. People are prepared to do spend £300 on a driver that they hit maybe 10-12 times a round, but they balk at the idea of spending £150 on a putter they might use 35 times a round. Very strange.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The £300 driver in theory is more forgiving and will help you hit it longer and straighter. Does the £150 putter help you hole more putts? Putting is more about confidence than anything, imho.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
fair point and have to say agree with Muttlee in a way - doesn't the huge range of putters show that its all actually about the mind and you could (in theory) putt as well with a 1950s special as with a Scotty?

But then again, know that forgiveness with bad strikes etc on a putter could make a big difference...so in doubt...again...better not go putting anytime soon!