Scotty Cameron - legit?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The mad thing is if the headcover is legit (not sure about that TBH) its prob worth more than the putter!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Might even be worth getting it repainted for that price. Why would it be repainted? Personal preference?

Albo

Visit site
Got to ask yourself if it’s really a Scotty, why is he selling it at the price he’s asking? Maybe legit, maybe not

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ask for a close up pic of the serial number on the shaft and then request the same from someone selling the same model online somewhere or compare with you local scotty dealer.

The seller would have paid around 80-100 to have it painted so my gut is saying fake.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Ask for a close up pic of the serial number on the shaft and then request the same from someone selling the same model online somewhere or compare with you local scotty dealer.

The seller would have paid around 80-100 to have it painted so my gut is saying fake.

Unless he/ she/ they/ it painted it themself......

Customizing clubs is obviously personal decision, have done it myself. Mostly just paint fill, not the whole club, that's not my thing. It's very difficult to determine how legit it is based on those images, a bad paint job doesn't mean fake, but might not make it look very good, for sure. Going down the serial number route is probably best - Scotty Cameron should be able to tell you if it's one of theirs

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ll go and check it out if he responds, it’s only a couple of miles from me.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unless he/ she/ they/ it painted it themself......

Customizing clubs is obviously personal decision, have done it myself. Mostly just paint fill, not the whole club, that's not my thing. It's very difficult to determine how legit it is based on those images, a bad paint job doesn't mean fake, but might not make it look very good, for sure. Going down the serial number route is probably best - Scotty Cameron should be able to tell you if it's one of theirs

There’s definitely a difference between a home diy paint job for the complete head compared to the factory or professional finish. I’d argue that if it’s a diy job it would screw the soft feel of a true scotty rendering the purchase pointless, but hey that’s just opinion.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Generally the cheap knockoffs from the far east do not have removable weights, maybe worth asking for a pic of it with weights out. (assuming he has a tool to get them out).

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Generally the cheap knockoffs from the far east do not have removable weights, maybe worth asking for a pic of it with weights out. (assuming he has a tool to get them out).

Thanks mate, but I’ve decided to swerve it. I asked why it had been painted and who by, and he didn’t know as he bought it second hand. £80 is £80.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a fairly old model is it not? The dodgey paint job has probably knocked a few quid off it so 80 is about the going rate for this putter.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
By Cameron for Titleist? Is that a real thing? Studio Select was a stainless steel putter was it not? Why paint one of those?

Buy an Odyssey putter rather than a tricked up possible fake.