Scotty Cameron - beware ....

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had a Scotty Cameron Futura X7M putter for just over 2 years now (putt well with it) and the grip is showing signs of wear and tear.

Spoke to local club fitters and they said they would order me a grip in.

Just found out that for this model in dual balance, the putter has to be returned to Scotty Cameron for them to fit the grip, the fitters have one possible alternative which is a Two Thumbs grip (apparently not the ghastly ones for putting 2 thumbs on) but will be shorter in length.

Perhaps this situation is common knowledge and I should have known.

If you play upwards of 4 times a week and have various comps coming up currently - club champs, opens etc and no suitable spare putter this is frankly a ridiculous situation as you cannot be without it at this time of year.

To be honest I would never have bought the Scotty putter in the first place if I had known this would happen.

Any recommendations for a suitable alternative - must have grips readily available ?

D

Deleted member 1147

Could you do as Patrick says, as an expedience, and then get it properly done in winter, when hopefully you can do without it for a week or two?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had a Scotty Cameron Futura X7M putter for just over 2 years now (putt well with it) and the grip is showing signs of wear and tear.

Spoke to local club fitters and they said they would order me a grip in.

Just found out that for this model in dual balance, the putter has to be returned to Scotty Cameron for them to fit the grip, the fitters have one possible alternative which is a Two Thumbs grip (apparently not the ghastly ones for putting 2 thumbs on) but will be shorter in length.

Perhaps this situation is common knowledge and I should have known.

If you play upwards of 4 times a week and have various comps coming up currently - club champs, opens etc and no suitable spare putter this is frankly a ridiculous situation as you cannot be without it at this time of year.

To be honest I would never have bought the Scotty putter in the first place if I had known this would happen.

Any recommendations for a suitable alternative - must have grips readily available ?

Agree this is not suitable. Surely they could still issue correct weight to local fitters, even if they do want to be a pain about ensuring no 3rd party parts can be used.

In fairness, this will have basically no impact on performance and so you should obviously wait until the winter.

But, just another tick in the 'no thanks Scotty' column for me.

Look good, well made and well branded - but ultimately I simply refuse to believe they are worth the money and are £100 to £200 better than other leading brands. Especially given their custom fitting is fairly limited and ultimately more down to the fitter than anything the company provide.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been into the fitter now, looked at suggested alternative and nothing like the shape of the current grip and seems so much shorter though only circa 1 inch.

Appears that the original grip made for Scotty is by Winn and they have a 15 inch counter balance 128g grip which is the same or close to it (why Marador will not work).

They do not stock Winn, but now getting one of theses ordered in and they also suggested looking to get Scotty grip done in the winter when 5 working days away works as this will enhance the resale value when I move down that route.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've never known a putter grip to wear out in 2 years. Was it bought new?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Jesus Joney!

It's a grip, they wear out. Imagine having to replace a grip, manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves for not having a putter grip last more than two years!!!

I honestly can't believe there is a thread moaning about a grip wearing out.

Continue to use it for another month or perhaps you should have thought about changing it sooner?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Jesus Joney!

It's a grip, they wear out. Imagine having to replace a grip, manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves for not having a putter grip last more than two years!!!

I honestly can't believe there is a thread moaning about a grip wearing out.

Continue to use it for another month or perhaps you should have thought about changing it sooner?

To be fair I think the issue is that it has to be sent away to be re-gripped, not the fact that it’s worn out.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To be fair I think the issue is that it has to be sent away to be re-gripped, not the fact that it’s worn out.

Agree, but wondering on the point Jacko made...

My putter is about 15 years old and the grip is still original, a bit of a wear but still life in it, poor condition after 2 years shouldn't be happening.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Plenty of other grip options out there. Not sure why Snotty want the putter back to put a new grip on it, any club builder/pro worth their salt can fit a grip, even a counterbalance grip.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Agree, but wondering on the point Jacko made...

My putter is about 15 years old and the grip is still original, a bit of a wear but still life in it, poor condition after 2 years shouldn't be happening.

Again I have to disagree with you. A putter you use at least 30 times a round, spend numerous hours on a putting green/carpet putting is going to wear out. I change my grips every season and putter every two seasons max. As soon as a grip loses its tackiness it gets cut off and replaced.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Plenty of other grip options out there. Not sure why Snotty want the putter back to put a new grip on it, any club builder/pro worth their salt can fit a grip, even a counterbalance grip.

I’d imagine they want the putter back to make more money out of us golfers, personally I’d tell them to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine and go to a decent pro but the point remains, the OP wasn’t moaning about a grip being worn out.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My putter grip has worn more due to bag rub than anything else. It also gets a fairly regular clean. It's 3 years old, and will probably be changed at next grip change more due to asthetics than effect.
It's not like it's subject to the same abuse as an iron or woods grip.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have never heard of a putter having to go back to the manufacturer to have the grip changed.

I would ask another pro or decent golf shop/fitter.