Scottish Open trip- inc Gourock

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Took a while and wasn't easy to find accommodation and golf (most clubs have events on that weekend) but looks like we have a plan.
Weds 9th - drive to Penrith
Thurs - round of golf Penrith then drive to our hotel close (actually not that close but best we could do) to Loch Lomond
Fri/sat - visit Scottish open (probably Friday only, or Sat if weather looks better)
Sun - play Gourock - thanks to mboy for the suggestion - looks great and they will actually have us on a Sunday!- then stay on Ayr coast (Largs?)that night
Mon - south through Ayrshire (waving to Troon and other big boys as we pass)- a round at Belleisle?
Then heading for Newton Stewart area for a couple of days. Seem to remember nice countryside that way and NS looks good on the web (and take 2 for 1!)Then I might agree to hitting the M6 and coming home

A few details still to sort out, but fingers crossed for decent golfing weather.

thanks for the advice!

AliB

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hope you enjoy ur game at Gourock. You'll be playing the course as it really comes good.

Have you seen the promotion the club has with a local hotel (Spinnaker) for reduced accomodation and green fees? Have a look here http://www.gourockgolfclub.com/promotions.htm

If your golf doesn't show it's A Game I'm more than sure the views will impress your party.

Andy.

mboy1980

Club Champion
Visit site
Glad to see you have taken my advice and are going to play Gourock.

I hope you get the weather for it.

As Andy says, the views are spectacular.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Andy
noticed the Spinnaker - or may go on further south.
Do you know if golf club has decent food ? We'll be playing mid-day Sun so may like to eat there afterwards.

cheers

AliB

DCB

Visit site
Yes, played Belisle and it is very good, can be a bit long early in the year if it's wet,but in the summer it will have lots of run on it, in fact for a municipal course it's excellent as is Lochgreen at Troon.

If your going down N S direction and haven't yet got somewhere to stay, try The North West Castle Hotel in Stranraer, a wee bit west of N S but they do excellent midweek golf breaks. My wife and I have been there a few times, nice hotel, enjoyable golf courses and at excellent rates. http://www.northwestcastle.co.uk/golfrates.htm
Were going back again this year for a couple of days, very nice indeed.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes,
If your going down N S direction and haven't yet got somewhere to stay, try The North West Castle Hotel in Stranraer, a wee bit west of N S but they do excellent midweek golf breaks.

DCB - looks great! - think it's just a bit too far in view of driving we're already doing, but thanks for tip - might do it another time.

AliB

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ali,

I'll be honest and say I wouldn't feed my dogs on the golf club food. We've just had a change of chef and I dont recommend the guy. The Spinnaker hotel does great food, I go there often for food with my good lady.

I would recommend the Taj Mahal in Gourock if you like indian food? You can call them on 01475 633268 to book.

Andy

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ali,

Tip about the course also, if in doubt be short of going long through the greens. All the trouble is long at Gourock, so be short if in doubt of what club to hit in.

Andy

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ali

Was in Dumfries & Galloway couple years ago. Newton Stewart was Ok - but in same area, prefered the Brighouse Bay and Kirkcudbright courses. (Just hope that the wind doesn't blow if you do Brighouse)

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have played at Bellisle and Lochgreen. Both in excellent condition just now but be prepared for a long round if your playing at peak times.

I would recomend you play the Darley at Troon. It is beside Lochgreen but I think it is a much nicer course. Lots of great holes. Especially the 12th as that is where I got my hole in one!!

Let us know how you get on.

How many are in your group?

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks guys
Just the two of us, and will be in Ayrshire on a Monday so hope courses won't be too busy. Will prob ring round week before and see who has spaces.

AliB

T

thecraw

I have played at Bellisle and Lochgreen. Both in excellent condition just now but be prepared for a long round if your playing at peak times.

I would recomend you play the Darley at Troon. It is beside Lochgreen but I think it is a much nicer course. Lots of great holes. Especially the 12th as that is where I got my hole in one!!

Let us know how you get on.

How many are in your group?

You have too be joking about Lochgreen and Darley?????

Played them both last week and its the worst they have ever been. Greens were a disgrace, so much so that we put in over 30 complaints and wont be back next year. Both courses used to be superb but council courses being council courses they cut back and cut back on the investment and time untill the end product falls apart.

Just like Torrance House in East Kilbride, used to be an excellent day out, now its a midden.

Ali, play Largs Kelburn you wont be disapointed and you will play on some of the best greens in Ayrshire with outstanding views of Isle of Cumbrae and Arran, plus Rothesay and Dunoon. Dont miss out on Largs you will regret it.