Scottish golf app- projected WHS

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

can see there being a good few administration errors / glitches with this app.... some of my friends have entered all their details including cdh and club yet app won’t find them- despite being able to login to Scottish golf website and view their handicap.

Also for myself I have put in a fair amount of supplementary cards this year and came down to 10.7 from 14.4 but the Scottish golf app has only taken into consideration my medal scores and giving a projected whs of 11.7. I have worked out my best 8 as 10.125 whs. we have a slope rating of 122 and course rating 69.9 (par 70) so I don’t think it should be anywhere near 12.

Supplementary cards should be included in whs calculation no?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No idea as to how it's worked out. But having gone back to looking at mine this morning and it's all disappeared. Asking me to put in my CHD number.

What I did wonder and now thinking last nights was incorrect is how I can get a Handicap of 15.5, but when I put the details in for my course it come out as a playing Handicap of 13. Now all my rounds for the last two years have been at my home club, so would this not just come out as 13?

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No idea as to how it's worked out. But having gone back to looking at mine this morning and it's all disappeared. Asking me to put in my CHD number.

What I did wonder and now thinking last nights was incorrect is how I can get a Handicap of 15.5, but when I put the details in for my course it come out as a playing Handicap of 13. Now all my rounds for the last two years have been at my home club, so would this not just come out as 13?

If your index is 15.5 and that adjusts to a course or playing handicap of 13, it likely means that, for your ability, your course is easier than others. With an index of 15.5, if you play a course "harder" than your own you'll get more than 13 as a playing handicap. I could be wrong but that sounds like a great example of the system working as it's meant to.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your index is 15.5 and that adjusts to a course or playing handicap of 13, it likely means that, for your ability, your course is easier than others. With an index of 15.5, if you play a course "harder" than your own you'll get more than 13 as a playing handicap. I could be wrong but that sounds like a great example of the system working as it's meant to.

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense, i suppose I was hoping for a cut in the actual Handicap instead of just the playing Handicap.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense, i suppose I was hoping for a cut in the actual Handicap instead of just the playing Handicap.

Tell me about it - my index is 0.9 lower than my congu handicap but I'll actually get one stroke more as a playing handicap round my home course than I currently do.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't have the app before so installed it and had a look and it'a still all the details re. my current CONGU handicap, nothing to do with WHS there that I can see.

Was it just an overnight thing and has now gone or can anyone else still see any WHS related stuff in the app?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I didn't have the app before so installed it and had a look and it'a still all the details re. my current CONGU handicap, nothing to do with WHS there that I can see.

Was it just an overnight thing and has now gone or can anyone else still see any WHS related stuff in the app?

I don't see anything either - I think the system (and perhaps the indexes themselves) are still in flux.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I see it in the my Handicap section. I've been checking for days and all of a sudden last night it showed. It disappeared this morning and has come back after putting my CDH number in.

Screenshot_20201023-102005.jpg

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Not there for me either. Just the old congu handicap, no projected WHS part. Seems to have updated for some and not others.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My projected index is there but my best score (last month at an open) is missing.

Other opens are showing up OK. Hopefully just teething troubles and it will sort itself out.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Your course(assuming Whites) is deemed (very slightly) 'easier than standard' for Bogey Golfers (113 vs 115) compared to Scratch Golfers. On top of that, the Course Rating (pretty much equivalent to SSS) is less than Par - so deemed 'easier than standard' for Scratch Golfers - at 65.4 compared to Par of 68. So plugging those numbers (and your 15.5 Index - not Handicap) into a Course Handicap calculator results in a Course (playing) Handicap of 13.

FWIW/Further info. If you played a course where Course Rating matches Par and Slope = 115, then Playing Handicap would = Index Therefore 15.5, so 16.
If slope is > 115, then playing index would increase; If Course Rating differs from Par (higher or lower), then the 'starting point' for the calculation needs to be adjusted (up or down resp). Hope that 'explanation' helps.

For comparison, My Course (Par 72) has rating of 72.6 and Slope of 141, so your Course Handicap would be 20.

Note: Both those values would be adjusted (or not) (95%) depending on whether it's Strokeplay (or Matchplay).

Last edited:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your course(assuming Whites) is deemed (very slightly) 'easier than standard' for Bogey Golfers (113 vs 115) compared to Scratch Golfers. On top of that, the Course Rating (pretty much equivalent to SSS) is less than Par - so deemed 'easier than standard' for Scratch Golfers - at 65.4 compared to Par of 68. So plugging those numbers (and your 15.5 Index - not Handicap) into a Course Handicap calculator results in a Course (playing) Handicap of 13.

FWIW/Further info. If you played a course where Course Rating matches Par and Slope = 115, then Playing Handicap would = Index Therefore 15.5, so 16.
If slope is > 115, then playing index would increase; If Course Rating differs from Par (higher or lower), then the 'starting point' for the calculation needs to be adjusted (up or down resp). Hope that 'explanation' helps.

For comparison, My Course (Par 72) has rating of 72.6 and Slope of 141, so your Course Handicap would be 20.

Note: Both those values would be adjusted (or not) (95%) depending on whether it's Strokeplay (or Matchplay).

Thanks for the detailed reply, so I guess for me to improve my index, I need to be shooting scores that are closer to 65 net so if I can drop off some of the scores in the 80's (currently 6 out of 8 are) then I'll see my index lower.

Does that make sense?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If those '8' were 'the best 8 of last 20', then you simply need to beat any of those to reduce your Index. But it will obviously reduce more if you beat any/all by a significant amount - as it's a (moving) average of those 'best 8'.

That's a major difference between WHS and Congu. Under Congu, reductions only happen if you shoot below Nett CSS (Stableford Adjusted).

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If those '8' were 'the best 8 of last 20', then you simply need to beat any of those to reduce your Index. But it will obviously reduce more if you beat any/all by a significant amount - as it's a (moving) average of those 'best 8'.

That's a major difference between WHS and Congu. Under Congu, reductions only happen if you shoot below Nett CSS (Stableford Adjusted).

Great thanks, that's what I thought but best to get clarification.