Scott Verplank's penalty stroke

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did anyone see Verplank yesterday at the Mercedes Benz at Kapalua?

Basically, he was in his stance, had grounded the club and the ball moved an inch. Penalty stroke and had to replace the ball. He complained that he had not moved it and took the option to play an alternative ball until a decision could be made.

Has this guy read the rules?

We all know that if the ball moves after you have addressed it then you are deemed to have moved it and are penalised.

His beef was that either the wind or ground conditions were what had caused it. He claimed that because it was not his fault there should be no penalty.

If you have ESSENTIALLY made your stance and grounded the club then you have addressed the ball. If the wind then moves it then it's tough luck. Happens to me regularly where I play. That's why I never ground the club.

Maybe he should have subscribed to the mag and gotten his free rule book!

DCB

Visit site
Ah John, your overlooking one thing, the pro's dont need to read the rules, they have a rules guy out there at their beck and call almost all the time.

Anyway, seriously, it is an elementary error on his part. Maybe he should have blamed siesmic activity, afterall it's a pretty volatile part of the world, geologically speaking!

B

birdieman

You'd expect better of an experienced pro, fairly basic rule we should all know.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good point DCB. Wisely, the R & A have already decided that an earthquake is not an outside agency, though. Sound rule, that one.

On a side note, it IS lovely to watch them play in 30mph winds with rain ...and with greens that wouldn't hold Sherpa Tenzing. Welcome to our world.

DCB

Visit site
J_F

We only get 28mph winds when we play in the city, you guys down the coast have to expect a wee breeze even on a calm day!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I had it on the telly he was claiming he was not in his full and ready address position with his feet, and that he should not be penalized?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know, htl. I wondered about that, too. But there is already a decision about this (on the R & A website) and you don't need to have completed your stance. Just "essentially" completed it. His feet were in place, aiming at the target, subject to last minute adjustments. It's just tough luck. He doesen't seem to realise that luck is a part of the game, good or bad.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
He is being a plonker!

You could use the excuse of not being in your stance all the time, due to the fact your the only one that knows when to pull the trigger.

I feel quite disappointed in him. I know it's his living but what kind of example does he set? He is in an extremely privileged position, I would give a kidney to live the life of a tour professional.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
the ruling judge came on the tv and explained although his stance was not complete the deciding factor was that he had grounded the club then the ball moved.
So unless he could prove that the ball moved as to no action of his it's a penalty.
the ball had sat there for at least 5+ mins without a movement then he puts his club on the ground he may not have touched the ball but he probably disturbed something around the ball to make it move.
Sooooooo stop yer winging and accept the rules and get on with it I say.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
"b. Ball Moving After Address
If a player’s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke."

Not much of a case m'lud.

Most players get used to deliberately not grounding their club if there is a chance the ball will move....

Dave