Scotland tips/The Open

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Right forumers, hoping for some help as to whether it's doable or no chance at all.

Looking at the Open for next year at Carnoustie and wondering if I can make a trip of it. It's a bit of a trek from the Midlands though.

Thinking me and a friend could catch the train up to Glasgow rather than drive or fly but I may need to reconsider, and then later train to Carnoustie for the Open.

So questions, if staying in Glasgow, any good and reasonably priced courses that you can get to by public transport/short taxi that you'd recommend.

Which courses on the train line to Carnousite or just past would be good (and again ideally reasonably priced)? I can see familiar names like Montrose, Arbroath etc but have no idea about the actual courses. Would we be able to play on a Saturday and Sunday? I figure one of those towns may be useful to stay in as a base for golf and the open if we don't stay in Glasgow.

Hope you don't mind me using you all as a travel agent but there seems to be a lot from Scotland on here and figured others may be interested if they're looking to do the same thing.

Thanks

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glasgow is on the West, Carnoustie on the East. It would make more sense to stay in Edinburgh or even better Dundee. I don't mean to be cheeky, have you checked it out on a map?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glasgow is on the West, Carnoustie on the East. It would make more sense to stay in Edinburgh or even better Dundee. I don't mean to be cheeky, have you checked it out on a map?

Ha, fair challenge and I did, It was more a direct train from Birmingham to Glasgow looked like only four hours and then trains went direct over to the coast and then up from Glasgow to Carnousite, an hour and a half but not the end of the world, hence Glasgow becoming a possibility. Looking at hotels, Glasgow has availability and cheaper (unsurprisingly being West - although my poor geography I classed it as central) where as Dundee or closer is not looking good.

Edinburgh could work and would be more likely if I drive or fly, but again trains seem to stop in Dundee when going to Carnousite so take as long as from Glasgow, and hotels slightly more expensive but currently manageable.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair play. I'm sure one of our Scottish friends with far more local knowledge than myself will be along to help shortly.

I actually went up the east coast a couple of months ago with work for the first time, I had to go from Northumberland to Montrose. Very pleasant drive and I was surprised how nice Dundee looked, don't know why I thought otherwise but there you go. I also learnt that Arbroath is not just a bad football team but a holiday resort and a nice looking one despite the fact that it was raining on the day I went through it. It is a pretty part of the world.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair play. I'm sure one of our Scottish friends with far more local knowledge than myself will be along to help shortly.

I actually went up the east coast a couple of months ago with work for the first time, I had to go from Northumberland to Montrose. Very pleasant drive and I was surprised how nice Dundee looked, don't know why I thought otherwise but there you go. I also learnt that Arbroath is not just a bad football team but a holiday resort and a nice looking one despite the fact that it was raining on the day I went through it. It is a pretty part of the world.

Cheers, if I can't make Thurs to Sun work on the train which allows me to work on the way up then I maybe seeing if I can extend it to a week and take family. That would make it a bit more manageable in terms of driving and spending some time in Scotland. Apart from Edinburgh it's a place I've not been but always said I should.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would they not put courtesy buses on from certain locations during the tournament? (question to our Scottish members who may have experience of Opens either at Carnoustie previously or other Opens held in parts of Scotland that are not blessed with speedy train lines.)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH, if i was going to The Open at Carnoustie, the last place i'd suggest staying is Glasgow. looking at 2 hours each way travel if going by train. plus if you wanted to play lugging golf clubs around on packed trains would not be my idea of fun .

Stay in and around Dundee, Broughty Ferry or Monifieth area. Only a couple of stops on the train.

Courses wise, Monifieth, Panmure, Arbroath and Montrose all close by.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I looked at doing it and we were looking at around £200 for a travelodge for the weekend in Dundee and then train fare from Dundee to the open. Book early. We booked a Travelodge in Liverpool for Birkdale for the weekend and got a family room for 3 adults for £50 each, train line train tickets a couple of month before for around £40 return and then daily train fare was £6 return from Liverpool but book your hotel asap if you are going to go.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I looked at doing it and we were looking at around £200 for a travelodge for the weekend in Dundee and then train fare from Dundee to the open. Book early. We booked a Travelodge in Liverpool for Birkdale for the weekend and got a family room for 3 adults for £50 each, train line train tickets a couple of month before for around £40 return and then daily train fare was £6 return from Liverpool but book your hotel asap if you are going to go.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may have missed the boat on hotel deals despite tickets coming out now. I think it's either pay more and enjoy the fact it's less hassle or just make the journey by train for the Open and play elsewhere.

Thanks all for advice so far, I'll do a proper search over the weekend. Any thoughts on courses closer to either Glasgow or Edinburgh which potentially will be quieter if we do have to stay further away from Carnoustie?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
In truth there's no end if courses in and around Glasgow and Edinburgh. I'm sure we could give suggestions around the type you're looking for, your budget etc.

I agree with the comment about travelling from Glasgow to Carnoustie won't be fun. Dundee probably a better option (never thought I'd say that) and plenty of decent courses round there and along the coast from Carnoustie.... scotscraig, monifeith, panmure etc

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
In truth there's no end if courses in and around Glasgow and Edinburgh. I'm sure we could give suggestions around the type you're looking for, your budget etc.

I agree with the comment about travelling from Glasgow to Carnoustie won't be fun. Dundee probably a better option (never thought I'd say that) and plenty of decent courses round there and along the coast from Carnoustie.... scotscraig, monifeith, panmure etc

Now now Karen no need haha. Dundee has at least 3 hotels getting built as i type and should be finished before the Open and right at the train station, they always put more trains on during the Open. Golf on the train line Panmure Monifieth,Arbroath and Montrose. Dundee has plenty for entertainment food and drink wise

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe stay around Perth area, there's lots of good courses there. There's also a train to Carnoustie, seemingly takes about 52 minutes.

Train takes 32mins from Perth to Carnoustie, usually one an hour but more during open week.

Course wise much better choice around Perth than Dundee but I'm a bit biased 😂😂

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dundee is a much better place to stay. Food, drink, hotels, golf and travel options are just better in every way.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not the best idea to stay in Glasgow.......Dundee is the obvious choice. Carnoustie is just up the road.
I recently spent a weekend there [for the first time] and was surprised how nice the city and surrounds were.
Plenty of Premier Inn/Travelodge style accommodation but you need to book it NOW.