score cards

astra

Visit site
Does anyone know of any webb sites that show how to mark a score card.i find all the different ways difficult to understand and as a beginner to golf its hard enough getting round without trying to understand my card scores.
:p

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know, but start off with the basics.....

Write your name in the box for player A, tick the tees used, enter your handicap, date and time (time if included)

-- then give your card to anyone else --

make sure if there are a few of you that no-one has their own card!!!

With someone elses card in your hand, all you've got to do it write your score in the "Marker" column and whosevers card you have, his/her score in column A. The rest can wait....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Basically as Dave says as long as you mark the gross score in column A for the person you are marking for that is your main duty completed and the rest can be sorted out later.

You don't have to mark you score in the markers column but it is best practice to do it so that if you have a discrepancy when the scores are totted up you have some form of cross reference.

If the competiton is a medal (where every shot counts on every hole) you need to record the score. Add it up at the end (there are normally a box for out - 1st 9 and in - the 2nd 9). Put those in and add them up (e.g 44 out and 45 in is 89) deduct the players handicap from the top of the card and in the box marked nett score put the final total (e.g. 89 less 15 handicap = nett 74)

If it is a stableford each player is trying to score points on every hole and it is the net score that counts. If a player scores a par and receives a shot it is a net birdie.

A net par is worth 2 points a net birdie 3. A net bogey is worth one and a double bogey is a 0. Players don't have to hole out so if someone plays too many shots to count they can pick up and you can put a 0 in the points column on the card.

E.G the player you are marking for plays off 15. On stroke index 1-15 on the card they get shots. So if on a par 4 he gets a shot and completes the hole in 5 it is a net par and 2 points. If he parred the hole it would be a net birdie an 3 points.

You should mark your score in the markers column and write your points score for checking purposes. Once the round is completed ad the points scored and mark it in the total points box.

These are the general rules. Hope the explanation has helped and not confused further

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I put my score in the "marker" column, because as the far left column, you can line it up with your card when it's returned to you, before you exchange back.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easy (once you know), you get two shots on holes with stroke index 1-9. One shot on all the rest.

1 shot SI 10-18 = 9 shots (the "easier" holes)
2 shots SI 1-9 = 18 shots (the "harder" holes)

9 + 18 = 27.