School teachers who golf?

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
Any school teachers out there who make the most of your school holidays (ducks as teacher holiday haters take aim 😉) to play as much golf as possible? I’m going to try to this year - never managed it before due to kids being too young. Just need to rope my 9 year old into caddying for me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any school teachers out there who make the most of your school holidays (ducks as teacher holiday haters take aim 😉) to play as much golf as possible? I’m going to try to this year - never managed it before due to kids being too young. Just need to rope my 9 year old into caddying for me.

I found out when studying my wife’s contract that she has ZERO holidays

Just unemployed when the schools are closed .. wasn’t impressed when I said get a part time summer job lol

D

Deleted member 16999

We’ve got a couple of blokes at our place who are teachers, they try to play every sunday then 2-3 times a week during school holidays if family commitments allow.
One of them gets quite grumpy in the last week of the summer holidays for some reason. :)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
2 of my P.E teachers were keen golfers, both off single figures.

For my GCSE's I and one of my mates who was a junior at the same course as me did P.E as an alternative to Music or Art.

We went and played golf once a week for about 6 weeks to monitor progress to go towards our final grade it was brilliant.

Had to do 3 sports and they actually argued for us to do Golf. I'd like to think because at the time we excelled in that field both playing for county etc. however I think they just like to leave supply teachers running P.E classes whilst they went for a knock!

Good friends to this day with one of the P.E Teachers. He plays endlessly over the summer holidays it's totally unfair!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I thought teachers had no spare time, that they are always planning, marking or moaning about planning and marking.
we have about 5 PE teachers at mine and they are out all the time, one of them played everyday during the summer, though never when there is a comp on;)

Last edited:

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought teachers had no spare time, that they are always planning, marking or moaning about planning and marking.

This 😉
I am saying this sat at my desk doing Year 11 revision during half term... However, I have just been the range and am playing friday/Sunday

Joking aside, I have great intentions of playing more and hopefully I will this summer having joined a club closer to home.
It is good, but then I have missed out on more golf than I have played as I haven't been able to play at the 'mega meets' in Scotland and HFH. I made Sunningdale the other year, but miss out this year by 1 day😢😢😢

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
Really all golf playing teachers should be off scratch. Given how much holiday people believe we get (marks 22nd essay on the Romans and wipes tear from eye!)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I found out when studying my wife’s contract that she has ZERO holidays

Just unemployed when the schools are closed .. wasn’t impressed when I said get a part time summer job lol
My wife got a great new job at a private school last September and was looking forward to working 43 weeks a year. The pro-rata salary was still more than her NHS pay so it was a win-win. She wasn't amused when they changed her contract from term-time to full time with just 25 days a year on 1st January. Still the new rounded up salary is nice and working how I can get my hands on some of it for new golfing goodies

To The Gentleman - where do you play your golf in SW London

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
As an aside, when my children were young I once took them up to the club & they watched their head teacher, who was a member, tee off. He said a very rude word after he hit his shot & the kids were astonished, they couldn't believe he was capable of speaking like that. We were highly amused.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep I’m a teacher who plays, in my rather small school there are around 6 of us who play during the holiday and frequent each other’s and the counties courses for a few trips out.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our last Junior Manager was a teacher. It was clear his teaching responsibilities gave him insufficient time to really play a lot of golf and do the the job of junior manager truly effectively despite him putting a lot of effort. He was a one time 8 handicapper which increased to 18 after becoming a teacher.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This 😉
I am saying this sat at my desk doing Year 11 revision during half term... However, I have just been the range and am playing friday/Sunday

Joking aside, I have great intentions of playing more and hopefully I will this summer having joined a club closer to home.
It is good, but then I have missed out on more golf than I have played as I haven't been able to play at the 'mega meets' in Scotland and HFH. I made Sunningdale the other year, but miss out this year by 1 day😢😢😢
Yes.. they don't see that Karl. Great trips, at great prices but you can't join in 'cos your working. Just hope you can retire early as nowadays its not a profession to do for too long.

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
Our last Junior Manager was a teacher. It was clear his teaching responsibilities gave him insufficient time to really play a lot of golf and do the the job of junior manager truly effectively despite him putting a lot of effort. He was a one time 8 handicapper which increased to 18 after becoming a teacher.

Not what I would have expected with less responsibility. Probably thinking about all the marking that affected his golf.

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
My wife got a great new job at a private school last September and was looking forward to working 43 weeks a year. The pro-rata salary was still more than her NHS pay so it was a win-win. She wasn't amused when they changed her contract from term-time to full time with just 25 days a year on 1st January. Still the new rounded up salary is nice and working how I can get my hands on some of it for new golfing goodies

To The Gentleman - where do you play your golf in SW London
Clubless at moment. Played Wimbledon Common GC today. Greens in mint condition. I recall that is your old stomping ground. I am considering joining on a 5 day membership as I play cricket at weekends. Would you recommend?

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
As an aside, when my children were young I once took them up to the club & they watched their head teacher, who was a member, tee off. He said a very rude word after he hit his shot & the kids were astonished, they couldn't believe he was capable of speaking like that. We were highly amused.

Hilarious. I need to careful about that. Nothing better than hearing your teacher swear. Well apart from learning their first name !