Scared of fast greens?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've noticed recently that I'm allowing fast greens to get into my head and toy with my confidence around the greens,

At the moment one of our 9's has been hollow tinned, I had 13 putts on heavily sanded hollow tinned greens and holed pretty much everything inside 8ft just being firm, yet got to the normal fast greens on the back nine and putted like a jelly fish , I'm not sure if it was a case of reading breaks that wasn't there , but I've noticed that any time I play quick greens I miss silly little ones reading breaks and paces that maybe not there.

Any drills to combat this

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Practice on lino/equally as slick surface and try to stop the ball as close to a coin/target as possible. Any green will feel normal after an hour on that.
Try putting was awful on Saturday on our great greens having played on tined greens the night before too... grrrr.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I played your greens the other week and they were lovely and fast (Blue/Red), downhillers were a nightmare. They're great when they are like that. Totally threw me.... they didn't LOOK as fast as they were and a couple felt faster then others. You could easily put a foot of break on a 6 footer even though it looks like it's right lip :p The speed of greens is the only thing that I'd say it was important to be out on the course a bit to practice, 9 holes a couple of times per week and you'll be OK.

Are you actually spending a bit of time practicing your putting? or is it 2 putts then head to the 1st tee?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does your practice green resemble the speed of the greens on the course, taking the hollow tining out of the equation. If so, then just get out and work on the stroke, maybe hitting downhillers.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Practice on lino/equally as slick surface and try to stop the ball as close to a coin/target as possible. Any green will feel normal after an hour on that.
Try putting was awful on Saturday on our great greens having played on tined greens the night before too... grrrr.

Blimey, lino!
Haven't seen it since the 50's!