Saturday round-up

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ok so how have we all got on today. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised not only by the weather (sunny but very breezy and now have a glowing head and face as a result despite a forecast for showers) but by the way I played.

For the first time this year I successfully defended my handicap. Ok I only got 36 points (19 out and 17 back) but I struck the ball great and couldn't buy a putt. Only real bad shot was a tee shot OB on par 3 17th (put the 2nd ball on the green os made 5 for a point).

Wind made it interesting in places. Played the 400 yard 9th and smacked a great drive into the teeth of the wind and then hit a flushed 3 wood and was still 20 yards short of the green. Hit loads of good drives but maybe missed on or two greens that I should have hit. When I did hit the green I was sticking it close (10-20 feet) but not making any putts. Chipping was good (got them all to within 6-10 feet from a variety of lies) but lipped out several times.

At the end of the day I'm chuffed to have finally played to my handicap in a competition and to have hit it so well. Trying to get a game with HTL this week so hope the form lasts!

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homer....glad you got the weather AND THE SCORE today.We had wind,rain more wind more rain etc;etc;plus left waterproofs in car!!!!DOH!!!!Started off with easy par 4 and made my 2nd par on 14.Want a set of D17s plusRam 3&5 woods(will need to see that shrink sooner rather than later)Think I,ll take up knitting!!!!!!!!!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
glad its come together finally for you Homer, I have enjoyed reading your detailed descriptions of your golfing season so far and all of them have had a sense of disappointment yet a feeling of having something to work on and it's great that you have found some success. Well done for the score, and best wishes with keeping the form going.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thats excellent Homer, glad its come together for you in the comp. your weather sounds like ours, forecast heavey rain - actual weather, blistering sunshine but we also had bursts of extremely heavey rain! the sort that knocks your cap over your eyes as your about to take a shot.

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Friday and scraped round with 32 points. Course was shut for 3 days for maintenance - entire course cored. Fairways were not too bad, but greens were terrible. Ended up with a few 3 putts which is what ruined the card. Also managed to hit 3 shanks in the round which never helps either!

I'm hoping that the greens improve before this weekend.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Good on yer Homer

I'm getting back to playing decently as well

Just remember - Form is temporary, class is permanent!!!!

it always comes to those who persevere.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
1st time I played to my handicap this season, 79 nett 71, breaking 80 from the back tee is a massive boost to the confidence, however bitterly dissapointed, hit 12 greens in regulation, made only one birdie, had 5 sixes on the card, 4 of which were double bogeys, 8 over for 4 holes level for 14. Too many basic errors and not enough putts holed, none from 8 feet or more and 1 missed from 18 inches.

That said the game is starting to come together and I'm sure it wont be long before I start reducing the handicap. Tough conditions yesterday with a strong wind, onwards and upwards as they say.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Homer,is stableford the only comp you guys down south ever play, up here in Scotland it is real medal golf we play during our weekend comps, how does stableford count for your handicap can you go up as well as coming down.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Back stics stroke for us yesterday, due to going to a wedding, I was out at 7.08am and it had been lashing it down since the early am's. Greens were wet but no standing water so competition was on. Level par after 4 holes and clubs were starting to get wet even with head covers all removed, rain cover on and best efforts to shield them.
One of our fourball cried off and left three of us soldiering round what has to be the most torrential rain I have ever stood out in, never mind played golf in.
Double bogeyed the stroke index 1 due to a pulled second shot and had to lob over a bunker which hung up in the fringe.
At the 9th hole I was teeing off 3 over par gross and hit a good 3 iron splitting the fairway, what happened next completely baffled me, 16 yards uphill into the wind, pulled out a 6 iron with the intention to play it low so it would hit the slope at the front of the green and kill its speed leaving me a couple of putts for a good front nine, er errr wrong.. It went a little higher than it was supposed to, took one bounce, one rock hard bounce as if it was on concrete and up over the fence at the back, I hit a provisional onto the green and walked up to see my ball sat in a trough in someones back yard, talk about disgusted. It must have travelled 175 in the air, one bounce and ened up nearly 200 yards from where it was originally struck.
The downpour continued and got worse if anything and the back nine with 3 par 3s and one par 5 were just too difficult to play well with the amount of water around and struggled to an 84 net 75. Between teeing off and finishing I think I saw maybe 6 other fourballs so you never know, if everyone struggled it might even get a placing in the low section haha!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Saturdays medal 77 gross, net 70, CSS 71. That’s my HC back to 6 again after three weeks at 7 (I kept that quiet), so not bad really. Now using a Nike driver, not the square one, in preference to my G10. I don’t know how but I’m hitting the Nike much better. A while back I qualified for the club senior’s championship, top 16, and a few days ago I won my first round with holes to spare. Also last week, I played the first round of the clubs summer foursomes and we put out the holders 2 and 1, a competition I won twice about 25 years ago.

After a bad spell it’s onwards and upwards.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played for the first time today in two weeks, was away in Italy for a week till last Thursday. Playing in a 4 man team event with 2 to score-however we had only 3 in our team. Struck the ball beautifully, was pleased with my performance. Amazing what a break from the game can do for you.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
no game so practice instead. When I came in I found I'd spent over 2 hours putting and chipping. Then went to the range to try to get the 5-wood to work and to ingrain the hybrid and long irons.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Posted weather and my crap score yesterday but today 4 of us used "course courtesy"at Cathcart Castle and we were on fire.Only 1 had played here before and no strokesavers were available,gross and nett birdies on a lot of holes from guys ranging from 13.5 to 26.is this because we don,t know the course and therefore don,t have any fear??Or is it just because we were,nt on our own course and just relaxed and really enjoyed a parkland course???There should be more of this sort of availablity to play on other tracks.Does this happen in other areas????

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Managed 35 points in the wind, which was good enough to win me a small side bet and keep me at the head of our money list for the season - long may it last!!

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
how does stableford count for your handicap can you go up as well as coming down.

I use stableford to track my handicap; 32 points and below results in handicap +0.1. 33-36 points is the buffer zone, and for every point over 36 you drop 0.1/0.2/0.3/0.4 depending on your handicap category.

Same logic applies to working handicap from strokes over sss I think - no score worse than a net double bogey counts, and in stableford, a net double bogey is no points.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not too bad a weekend for me. Played to my handicap with a net 72 in my first medal comp. Found it very stressful knowing that one of my really bad holes could ruin the card but managed to hold it together