Sand Wedge Thoughts

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
In 1988, I made two birdies, eight pars, eight bogies, and my favorite of all golf achievements, no doubles, playing in our local union's annual summer golf outing.
Since most of my best rounds have occurred in casual games with my friends, this one in an actual event is memorable as being special. 30 Stableford points by me?

What else stands out about that round, however, is that I hit six greenside bunkers and made zero sand saves. That's right, 0 for 6, resulting in six of my eight bogies. Otherwise, that could have easily been my all-time career round.

That round was what led me to discover the old fashioned sand wedge, not meant as an all-purpose club but rather meant specifically for sand. Oval, almost round face. Long hosel. Very curved leading edge, onset out in front of the shaft.
In the 1930s and 40s, I'm told, almost everybody had a wedge like this. Then, as aerial target golf began to replace the ground game due to heavier watering, players sought sand wedges that were more useful for hitting from grass.

My guess for the oval faced sand wedge not having made a big comeback is that most players simply don't struggle with loose, fluffy sand as much as I do. The old fashioned sand iron doesn't make me a sand save wizared, but it at least allows me to make a few of them, and that makes taking up one pf my fourteen slots well worth it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My guess for the oval faced sand wedge not having made a big comeback is that most players simply don't struggle with loose, fluffy sand as much as I do. .

Bang on there for. Light fluffy sand requires a SW with high bounce a good technique and the confidence to go in to the sand no more than about a inch behind the ball. A long smooth full swing is always much better than trying to beat the living daylights out of the sand.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The sand at our place is usually rock hard, so I have a battered old 60° in the bag for chopping it out with. I don't use that 60 anywhere else on the course. If on rare occasions the sand is nice, I can use my 56° with high bounce. Well sometimes I can. :LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the Niblick from my hickory set has next to no bounce, but must be close to 60 deg or more, that is very easy to hit out of bunkers.

will see if i have a pick of it