Saltburn

Diamond

Visit site
Staying for a couple of days in Saltburn and I see there are 2-3 courses Saltburn, Hunly and Cleveland. Cleveland may be a bit tough for me as it looks like a traditional links. Any advice on which course to play between Saltburn and Hunly?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Staying for a couple of days in Saltburn and I see there are 2-3 courses Saltburn, Hunly and Cleveland. Cleveland may be a bit tough for me as it looks like a traditional links. Any advice on which course to play between Saltburn and Hunly?
@Hobbit can probably help, it is his old patch.

Cleveland is very good, it can certainly be tough, particularly if the wind is up. A very friendly place though, don't discount it totally. I have not played the other two.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cleveland is by far the best challenge but not as brutal as some. The only true links in Yorkshire.
Hunley Hall has 29 interchangeable holes and is played to a different route every day. Lovely views.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
@Hobbit can probably help, it is his old patch.

Cleveland is very good, it can certainly be tough, particularly if the wind is up. A very friendly place though, don't discount it totally. I have not played the other two.
Cleveland was the first course I played that had a par 3 opening hole, and the only other one since is Bamburgh.
I seem to remember a lot of people missing to the right in our forum meet there then having quite a steep bank to come up. But fantastic course, cant remember if its a coal works, or steel works in the background, but its certainly one of the more interesting backdrops, and i mean that sincerely.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Redcar Steelworks. Now closed.

Matt Fitzpatrick's brother Alex, won the County Matchplay there never going beyond the 15th hole in any round.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cleveland was the first course I played that had a par 3 opening hole, and the only other one since is Bamburgh.
I seem to remember a lot of people missing to the right in our forum meet there then having quite a steep bank to come up. But fantastic course, cant remember if its a coal works, or steel works in the background, but its certainly one of the more interesting backdrops, and i mean that sincerely.
Have you never played South Shields? That seems ironic, assuming your location is accurate. (Alnmouth Village also has one in this part of the world)

I can't remember if I went right or left but I do know my ball was never to be seen again :LOL:. Great confidence booster :oops:

It is the old steel works. Currently being knocked down, or about to be. It will alter things quite significantly once gone, as anyone who has ever played there will testify.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Saltburn has several blind holes and several that are very close together, one of which has a tee(?) shot over another fairway. I like it, although with the aforementioned (minor) issues it’s better on the second visit. A lot of the course is on a hill top, and also exposed if it blows. The shorter of the 3.

Hunley, being on the cliff top, is quite exposed but whichever layout is played it’s a decent challenge. Personally, I never took to it and it would be my third choice. That doesn’t mean it isn’t worth a visit.

Cleveland; having been a member there for many, many years I’m biased. The work done in the last 10 years have taken it to another level, and the large mounding/hills that have been added really help define the course/holes and provide some shelter from the wind on several holes, should it blow.

If the wind is blowing, all three might give you a bit of a battering… sorry, but my (biased) choice would be Cleveland, always and especially in winter.

Diamond

Visit site
Saltburn has several blind holes and several that are very close together, one of which has a tee(?) shot over another fairway. I like it, although with the aforementioned (minor) issues it’s better on the second visit. A lot of the course is on a hill top, and also exposed if it blows. The shorter of the 3.

Hunley, being on the cliff top, is quite exposed but whichever layout is played it’s a decent challenge. Personally, I never took to it and it would be my third choice. That doesn’t mean it isn’t worth a visit.

Cleveland; having been a member there for many, many years I’m biased. The work done in the last 10 years have taken it to another level, and the large mounding/hills that have been added really help define the course/holes and provide some shelter from the wind on several holes, should it blow.

If the wind is blowing, all three might give you a bit of a battering… sorry, but my (biased) choice would be Cleveland, always and especially in winter.

Thanks, it looks like golf is off the agenda now as my wife wants me to look at some houses in Redcar between the Coast Road and the race course. if you know the area I was wondering if you had an opinion on what that area is like? The wife wants to move near the sea/beach.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks, it looks like golf is off the agenda now as my wife wants me to look at some houses in Redcar between the Coast Road and the race course. if you know the area I was wondering if you had an opinion on what that area is like? The wife wants to move near the sea/beach.

I’ve got a customer in Marske, some of the houses down near the sea front are very very impressive ?

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve got a customer in Marske, some of the houses down near the sea front are very very impressive ?

Regularly take the dog for a walk between Redcar and Marske - the missus drools over some of those houses

To answer the OP - Cleveland for me was a good test but really enjoyable

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

The area you are talking about is called Redcar East, and has the Saltburn to Darlington railway running down through it parallel to the coast. The closer to the town centre, the older the houses are. On the land side of the railway, heading out of town, decent sized, solid semi’s. Following the railway out of town you come to a small station, Redcar East Halt. On the sea side, from there heading out of town you’ll find semi’s similar to the land side of the railway.

Heading out of town, about a mile from the level crossing, you’ll see a school field on your left. Immediately after that you’ll come to a relatively modern, large estate called the Ings. Big mix of housing from semi’s through to large detached. Again, coming out of town from the level crossing you’ll see a park on your right, Borough Park. Immediately after that is a small estate of solid semi’s. Then a run of quite new houses, and then a small, exclusive estate called Wheatlands Park.

Further up the road you’ll come to a roundabout. Take the first exit, going left and head down towards a pub on your left. You’ll find a relatively new estate on your right, similar housing to the Ings.

Anything specific you want to know, drop me a PM - I’m a Redcar lad, on and off for 55 years.