Safety on a Golf Course

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is it correct that we as members are responsible for our own safety on a golf course?

Is there an actual Rule of golf that states this is the case. if so can somebody show me the rule. I am not referring to Rule 1.2 a

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it correct that we as members are responsible for our own safety on a golf course?

Is there an actual Rule of golf that states this is the case. if so can somebody show me the rule. I am not referring to Rule 1.2 a
I would say you are responsible for your own safety wherever you are, not just on a golf course. You shouldn’t need to be given rules to know this

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t quite get the question. I suggest you look on it that we all have a duty of care for everyone, including ourselves.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst there is no rule I would expect that if it were part of a court case whereby a player is suing for injury a judge would take it in to consideration.
The standards my be different between a golfer and a non golfer suing for the same injury as the former would be expected to know the risks.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

It is a matter of Law rather than Rules of Golf

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
As above, there is no Rule of golf that covers/assigns personal responsibility for safety. However, the golf club itself may have some statements?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As above, there is no Rule of golf that covers/assigns personal responsibility for safety. However, the golf club itself may have some statements?
Thank you for all your comments and like most things common sense prevails.

The reason I asked was “Mr Rules Man” at our Club said there was a rule.

Appreciate the comments

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Thank you for all your comments and like most things common sense prevails.

The reason I asked was “Mr Rules Man” at our Club said there was a rule.

Appreciate the comments
Did he suggest that there were consequence, ie, a penalty, for breach of this "rule"?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It might be that he is referring to a club rule regarding individuals to be covered by their own insurance whilst on the course.

Some clubs have a blanket policy, others don’t

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always have the R&A App on your phone, ready to hand over to someone and say, "show me the Rule!" 😉

One day, they'll be right

I do not have the app. Does it have have all the gubbins like Committee Procedures and the full rules on equipment?

YandaB

Visit site
I do not have the app. Does it have have all the gubbins like Committee Procedures and the full rules on equipment?
Yes, very comprehensive, it has Definitions, Clarifications, Committee Procedures, Rules of Handicapping, Equipment Rules, Rules of Amateur Status on top of the Rules of Golf and Player's Rule Finder.

YandaB

Visit site
Yes but much easier to search and read on a PC or laptop.
I quite like the search function, it will search all the different areas and clearly show which hit came from where, they can be filtered and even has some sort of thesaurus (e.g. searching for plugged will find things for embedded).