Rust spots on irons

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So, as I was years late to party on soaking studs in water to loosen them, I'm expecting expert advice on how best to remove rust spots from the back cavity on irons. Suggestions please?

U

User62651

Once cleaned treat with Youngs 303 gun oil! Lovely smell.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, as I was years late to party on soaking studs in water to loosen them, I'm expecting expert advice on how best to remove rust spots from the back cavity on irons. Suggestions please?

You have 3 choices - chemical (acid) physical (Dremel is the best) or electrical (rig up in an electrolite solution and run a current through).

All will work to a degree.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If it's a chromed head then a bit of aluminium foil rubbed over the spot does the trick.

(It does on my vintage chromed heads anyway.)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would just give them a good rub, then apply a light oil such as WD40 or GT85.
Works for mine (not that I have rust spots on them)

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Good stuff fir asking Hugh as my putter has just developed some rust spots

In the middle of the face perhaps? :whistle:

As for the OP's question...Coke does indeed work pretty well, primariy for 'spots', but I've use it to remove surface rust on a Carbon putter that I had thought was 'stainless'! Once 'treated' then the likes of WD40 is needed to keep water (therefore more rust) away.

Dremel action is rather unsubtle! It can remove rust, but also quite a bit more!!

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the middle of the face perhaps? :whistle:

As for the OP's question...Coke does indeed work pretty well, primariy for 'spots', but I've use it to remove surface rust on a Carbon putter that I had thought was 'stainless'! Once 'treated' then the likes of WD40 is needed to keep water (therefore more rust) away.

Dremel action is rather unsubtle! It can remove rust, but also quite a bit more!!

Stick a brass brush wheel in the dremel and it can't remove much more than the rust.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently had to clean some rust off some irons I was selling. After a bit of googling I elected to use vinegar and a scrunched up ball of tin foil. And it worked! Cheap solution since we had both in the house already. :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My clubs were in the locker for a couple of weeks and the 9, PW and 7 iron had rust on the wear marks on the face. Just brought them home have a clean with WUL and a wire brush, got rid of the rust and these a forged blades.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Vokey Oil Can wedges are very rust-spotted. I'm not that bothered - but I'm not being honest if I don't admit that I didn't realise they would go that way. I'm guessing that that is just the way of things with Oil Can finish clubs - or should they not really be rusting...?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Vokey Oil Can wedges are very rust-spotted. I'm not that bothered - but I'm not being honest if I don't admit that I didn't realise they would go that way. I'm guessing that that is just the way of things with Oil Can finish clubs - or should they not really be rusting...?
They're supposed to rust a bit aren't they?