Rust on new irons - a bit surprised

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have had my new Mizuno JPX Hot all of three weeks. Haven't really played in any wet weather, until yesterday at Cooden, which was only really the last two holes.

Sorting my bag out just now and cleaning up after last nights late return. Very surprised to find rust on all my new irons.

B7849098-BB9F-4516-8A17-B017BA2FD361.jpeg

Surely I shouldn't be seeing this? It's not like they have been left out in the rain for 3 weeks. Not best pleased.

Last edited:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd be having a word with the seller/ Mizuno.
I think it's the same chromoloy that's in the 919 HM's and mine still look new

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mate had rust spots appear on the faces of his new ping irons.

Ping will be replacing them with the new irons when they are released afte the summer I belive.

They didnt look great for a set of irons that set him back 800 notes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That will.prob just wipe off with a wire brush. I got a few spots on mine when they were in the car for a few hours after playing up a Brora earlier in the year. I'd imagine mizuno or the place you bought them from will replace them. But in reality they are for hitting things, it's shouldn't happen but is does, it won't effect the performance,its only cosmetic after all

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
That will.prob just wipe off with a wire brush. I got a few spots on mine when they were in the car for a few hours after playing up a Brora earlier in the year. I'd imagine mizuno or the place you bought them from will replace them. But in reality they are for hitting things, it's shouldn't happen but is does, it won't effect the performance,its only cosmetic after all

I do get that they're tools and gonna get dinged, but never saw a spot if rust in 5 years on my Callaway Apex forged. I'd expect to see it there more than on a 3 week old set of alloy clubs. Just surprised me that it turned up over night

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I do get that they're tools and gonna get dinged, but never saw a spot if rust in 5 years on my Callaway Apex forged. I'd expect to see it there more than on a 3 week old set of alloy clubs. Just surprised me that it turned up over night
All the clubs I've had in the last 14 years have been forged before these and all would get rust on after even a few hours wet, I didn't expect the cast to, though no idea why they shouldn't . Usually just given them a bit of a clean and I wipe and dried properly and it's gone.If it bothers you just take the back to the place you got them, I'm sure they will exchange no issue.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At weekend I got a scratch/score from a stone or something on the face of my nice new Ping Glide 58 deg…? I bemoaned the fact to my pro…he looked and said…”will make no difference…besides…it’s a golf club…it’ll get scratched”. True. Never bothered about dints or scratches on my old bats and all of a sudden I’m getting very precious about my new ones…tsk…?

RichA

Visit site
At weekend I got a scratch/score from a stone or something on the face of my nice new Ping Glide 58 deg…? I bemoaned the fact to my pro…he looked and said…”will make no difference…besides…it’s a golf club…it’ll get scratched”. True. Never bothered about dints or scratches on my old bats and all of a sudden I’m getting very precious about my new ones…tsk…?
I'm noticing that ball strikes are leaving black marks on the faces of my Glide wedges and G425 irons. They're like tattoos - they don't rub off.
Obviously, they don't affect usability but they are unsightly.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I bought a set of HM 919s 6 months ago, played in all sorts of weather, am not the most fastidious when it comes to cleaning my club, never seen a hint of rust.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm noticing that ball strikes are leaving black marks on the faces of my Glide wedges and G425 irons. They're like tattoos - they don't rub off.
Obviously, they don't affect usability but they are unsightly.
It's not coming from ink from the pen you mark your balls with is it?