Ruling: Ball embedded in a steep mown bank surrounding green

Mightymoose

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm going to check with my Pro later but thought I'd canvas the forum, seeing as we all love Ruling questions!

Location: 17th Green, par 3, 154 yards. Green is surrounded by a steep bank, over head height (7ft or so) immediately at the back of the green. Bank is closely shorn grass, i.e. as fairway. Beyond the bank is a path, the 18th tee and a boundary fence (OOB), so nowhere to drop a ball. If it makes a difference, there is a sign say keep off the bank. Tee is at the top of the screen

http://tinyurl.com/5wsnvfw

Scenario 1: Tee shot played long and plugs into the bank. What should you do with the ball, which is completely plugged into the bank? Where should your 2nd shot be taken from and what, if any, are the penalties?

Scenario 2: Tee shot played short (topped), 2nd shot chipped onto the bank, lands at rest in an old, not your plug hole - unplayable.

Same questions - What should you do with the ball, which is completely plugged into the bank? Where should your 2nd shot be taken from and what, if any, are the penalties?

I've had both scenarios happen to me and had conflicting answers from my playing partners. I don't know the correct answer - help!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the bank is fairway (closely mown) then you proceed in either case under the plugged ball rule. Free drop next to the plug mark, no nearer the hole. Ball can roll two club lengths not nearer the hole.

If the ball won't come to rest, then it is the nearest point of relief where it will come to rest, not nearer the hole.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Lift, clean and drop as near as possible, not nearer the hole, without penalty. If the ball moves closer to the hole, you redrop and then if it happens again, place it.

2. That is not embedded, i.e. it is not in its own pitchmark (Rule 25-2). Tough luck, have a hack at it.

Mightymoose

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In scenario 2, how do you know it isn't your plug hole?

I saw it land higher up the bank and roll down into the hole.

It was about 2 feet above the green, and there was no stroke as whole of the ball was in the hole.

Re Scenario 1, that's what I did. I was worried whether there was a limit to how far away the point of relief could be, as I ended up dropping/placing it about 20 feet away from where it plugged.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
In scenario 2, given it is not in its own pitchmark you could declare it unplayable and proceed in accordance with Rule 28 - Ball Unplayable - under penalty of one stroke.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In scenario 2, given it is not in its own pitchmark you could declare it unplayable and proceed in accordance with Rule 28 - Ball Unplayable - under penalty of one stroke.

Yep, that option is always available. Replaying the previous shot might be a better option than a drop on the steep slope!

Mightymoose

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Yeah, that makes sense, although it didn't spring to mind at the time.

Thanks for your answers.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Firstly, you get relief from a plugged ball if it's fairway height or less (are you sure it is? How do they mow it?).

Scenario 1, you drop as close as possible, it clearly will bounce towards the hole so you then place it. If you can't then you have to place it as close as possible, nor nearer the hole where you can get it to be at rest. If the bank is as steep as it looks this may be on the strip of grass at the top before the path. You could probably then get relief from the path if you would be standing on it.

Scenario 2, you proceed under the unplayable ball rule. There is no relief unless the ball is embedded in it's own pich mark.