rules question

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry but another rules question

This one caused quite a stir in the clubhouse.

I hit a driver on the 6th tee yesterday and got my angles all wrong as well as a slight slice. The ball was going right and out-of-bounds but on its way hit some electricity lines running just inside the boundary but still went out.

I pulled a ball out of the bag and went to hit another without penalty. everyone agreed except one fella who said it was on it's was out and should be taken under penalty. It divided the clubhouse (all 8 of us who decided a beer was the way forward).

Was I right or was I taking advantage of the rules?

Thanks, Kevin

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd check with the local rules of your course.
Some courses say you must replay the shot with no penalty, others give the player the choice. I know it's wrong but some do.
Either way I'd say there's no penalty, just rub of the pylon :)

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the local rules state that hitting the electricity lines give you another go, I'd say no penalty.
I mean, you may have missed the lines and then hit a bird or an aeroplane/helicopter or something that was flying by and the ball could have dropped into play. There was no absolute guarantee that if it hadn't hit the lines it was going out of bounds.
Play on.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just checked the scorecard and there is a ruling on overhead wires - disregard that stroke. Never noticed them on the back before haha :)

It must have been the close proximity to the boundary. They are virtually on the boundary and some old timers deem them to be the boundary line

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assume there is a local Rule on this at the club. You should go by that.

There is a Decision which covers local Rules for this situation which makes it clear that any such rule should require the stroke to be cancelled and replayed and not just give the player the option to do this.

33-8/13 Local Rule for Ball Deflected by Power Line

Q. An overhead power line is so situated that it interferes with the play of a hole. Would it be appropriate for the Committee to make a Local Rule allowing a player whose ball is deflected by this power line the option to replay the stroke, without penalty, if he wishes?

A. No. However, a Local Rule requiring a player to replay the stroke would be acceptable. The following text is suggested:
“If a ball strikes the power line during play of the ____ hole, the stroke is cancelled and the player must play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was played in accordance with Rule 20-5 (Making Next Stroke from Where Previous Stroke Made).”
In some cases the Committee may wish to include in the Local Rule the towers or poles supporting such lines when the towers or poles are positioned such that they interfere with the play of the hole.

If there is a local rule at your club it should reflect the above but it is worth checking it.

It's a swings and roundabouts thing and if on this occasion you benefitted, well that's just part of the luck of the game.

If there isn't a local rule then the normal OOB rule applies and you re-play under penalty of stroke and distance.