Rules question

dune19670

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just wondered if someone could clear this up for me please,
Whilst playing this morning, two of my playing partners drove into a fairway bunker, then the first to play out of the bunker topped the shot and hit the other ball, both balls stayed in the bunker.
So do you have to play the balls as they lie, or does the ball that has been moved by the original shot have to be replaced??
Hope this makes sense,
Thanks in advance

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just wondered if someone could clear this up for me please,
Whilst playing this morning, two of my playing partners drove into a fairway bunker, then the first to play out of the bunker topped the shot and hit the other ball, both balls stayed in the bunker.
So do you have to play the balls as they lie, or does the ball that has been moved by the original shot have to be replaced??
Hope this makes sense,
Thanks in advance

Replace the second ball as close to original lie and position as possible. Play the first one as it lies.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above. Nice and easy solution. Rule 18-5.

On a side note, had the first shot been successful but the splash of sand covered the other ball then the second player would be entitled to removed the sand covering the ball. Decision 13-2/18.5.

dune19670

Medal Winner
Visit site
another bunker rules question for all you experts, please.
yesterday whilst playing, myself and my playing partner bother finished in a greenside bunker, only about 1ft apart.
i played first, as i was the furtherest away, i thought i would cover my partners ball with sand, as mentioned in the post above, but what happened was that i got my ball out of the bunker and my partners to, with the follow through !!!!
this was more amazing as there was a 5ft lip on the bunker.
so what we done is, replaced his ball back in the bunker, as near as to its original position,
was this correct.
thanks in advance.

dune19670

Medal Winner
Visit site
yes i know,
the difference was that i actually hit the other players ball, with my club, not with the ball.
didnt know if that made a difference.

PeteC

Visit site
Nope, makes no difference.

Replace the other players ball as close as possible to its original position and lie (although he could have marked it - like on the green - before your shot)