Rules Question Part 1

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a pairs match today I called a foul on myself when I grounded my club on a slope the ball moved a foot before I took my shot. I replaced the ball and added a penalty stroke to my score. We all agreed that its just 1 stroke penalty not 2 (a shot + penalty) but none of us were 100% convinced of the rules.

I think they were taken back that I mentioned it and said you didnt have to do that , being nice. I appreciated the sporting gesture the match was played in good spirit throughout but rules are rules.

As it was a match we decided the outcome between us, but for future reference was it the correct action?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
You did the right thing. Replace ball and add 1 penalty shot.

Rule 18 Ball at Rest Moved

18-2 By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment

b. Ball Moving After Address
If a player’s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.
*PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
You did the right thing. Replace ball and add 1 penalty shot.

Rule 18 Ball at Rest Moved

18-2 By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment

b. Ball Moving After Address
If a player’s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.
*PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes. Although in a pairs match, you may be out of it (loss of hole) but your partner may still be in it.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks, its a bit harsh that rule I think if you genuinely didnt intend to move the ball but I guess its there to guard against cheating.

Another time I moved a leaf which was just behind the ball and the ball rolled about an inch. Same thing I had to call a foul on myself - harsh.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Another time I moved a leaf which was just behind the ball and the ball rolled about an inch. Same thing I had to call a foul on myself - harsh.

Wouldn't have mattered if you'd put your marker next to your ball first. Lesson learned: before you do ANYTHING get your marker on the floor.... and don't drop your ball on your marker either ;)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

Wouldn't have mattered if you'd put your marker next to your ball first. Lesson learned: before you do ANYTHING get your marker on the floor.... and don't drop your ball on your marker either ;)

Hmmmm, on the putting green there is no penalty if the ball moves while moving a loose impediment so marking is irrelevant. Anywhere else then marking the position makes no difference. You should only mark your ball when you can lift it under the rules. If you move it while removing a leaf then it's a penalty - full stop.