Rules question - Ball tee'd up by someone else

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It strikes me that the guy in front must have been very annoyed if he interrupted his putting stroke to walk 45 yards back to the ball, tee it up and return the 45 yards to carry on his game.

No idea, if he was, apart from teeing my ball, he didn't show it.

As soon as I saw the guy gesturing I walked up ahead of my partner playing his shot to see if there really was a problem. I apologised to the guy if he thought my ball was too close, despite how far it was (because causing any kind of issue was not my intent) and he didn't say anything about it to me at the time. As I walked off my way and he went to the next tee, I heard him mumbling about playing too fast. If he was really angry or upset, he could have said something to me. In fact, I'd say his two playing partners looked pretty sheepish and embarassed when I spoke to him, and they did not raise any concern about my shot at all.

The group in front had already been holding my group up for the previous 5 holes, and we hadn't hit any shots anywhere near them, so its not like we were constantly firing at them and rushing him up. It was also clearly not intentional from the fact that as soon as I saw him gesturing I approached him.

If I make a mistake and do wrong, I am the first to admit it, and like I said previously, with hindsight I wouldn't have bothered hitting.
However I still think that the ball being 40 yards away was not endangering anyone and that this was a case of someone being miserable for no reason.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Are you sure he wasn't aiming at you? He is normally pretty good from 40 yards out. Full on 7 iron.

I meant it was "him" that tee'd somebody elses ball up, not that it was "him" that clattered into our bags.
Even "him" couldn't have hit that shot, it was going too hard.
;)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Years ago,I was crouched down writing my partners name on the long drive marker in the middle of the fairway at the Isle of Purbeck (obviously it wouldn't have been mine), A ball from the group behind then bounced straight over my head. :mad: It was on the 18th and it rolled another 20 yards and finished a few inches in the rough short of the green.

His explanation that he had been hitting the ball so badly, and it was the first drive he had caught did not go down to well. :( If in the slightest doubt wait. A ball rolling up near a green is not going to be dangerous, but it can be very off putting.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was crouched down writing my partners name on the long drive marker in the middle of the fairway at Blackmoor on Monday.
A ball from the group behind then bounced straight over my head. :mad: It was on the 18th and it rolled another 20 yards and finished a few inches in the rough short of the green.

I did apologise at the time Richard, and asked you not to mention it on the forum.
But no....you have to get all shirty don't you?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I was crouched down writing my partners name on the long drive marker in the middle of the fairway at Blackmoor on Monday.
A ball from the group behind then bounced straight over my head. :mad: It was on the 18th and it rolled another 20 yards and finished a few inches in the rough short of the green.

I did apologise at the time Richard, and asked you not to mention it on the forum.
But no....you have to get all shirty don't you?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

This was a drive, not a third shot. :D