Rules question - Ball tee'd up by someone else

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a rough idea about this one, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I thought I'd see what others make of it.

During my round today, one of the holes is an uphill par 5 that levels out near the green. For my second shot, I was about 250 out, so I planned to play a 3 wood expecting that as it is uphill and wind against, It will be about 20 yards short of the green. Once the group in front are on the green, I play my shot and afterwards see one of the players in front gesturing at me.

When I get up to my ball, I find it is about 10-15 yards short and sitting on a tee.

I assume that a player in front has done this, as they want me to wait for them to clear the green, even though I have 2 groups on the tee behind me waiting to play, and it didn't put them in danger. Based on this fact, I assume ball at rest moved by an outside agency\fellow competitor, and proceed as if this was the case.

1) Is this the correct thing to do (the ruling, not playing the shot, as it getting that close was unintentional and I apologised, but the guy just mumbled about us playing too fast), based on the fact I didn't see them move the ball, or 100% know for sure where it's original lie was? (I made the assumption it was where it was tee'd, but on the grass.)

2) Was the guy a knob? :D

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
yes the guy is a knob for interfering with your ball,

However if i was on the green with them I'd be pee'd off that a ball landed just 20 yards away. best to wait next time

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think you allowing a 20 yard margin for error is enough to be honest mate, what if you had caught a bit of a flyer?

You weren't intentionally holding up the parties behind you nor playing deliberately slowly, best to wait IMHO.

Years ago during my first attempt to play the game, someone fired an approach at the green while I was putting out, only a 7 or 8 iron to reach this green and it thudded into the surface about 6 foot from me. I kicked his ball off the green and then fired it back at him - never saw him again for the rest of the round.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think its safe to assume that the ball didn't finish on the tee by itself so you probably did the right thing.

Yes, the other player's a knob - you don't interfere with another ball on the course.

Yes, maybe you should have given them a little more room but that still doesn't excuse the teeing up.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have seen a player hit by a ball, was my 1st round ever with Steve aka Viscount17, ok it wasnt a group behind but it came out of nowhere and just missed his crown jewels

I always allow for the just maybe shots and would rather hold up a group or even wait and let em play through

still a knob for touching your ball though :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whats wrong with a word the next time you pass on fairways or meet on a tee. If things are that slow you are bound to pass them or go close enough for a quick word right?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
1. In the circumstances you probably did the right thing rules wise but you shouldn't have played. It is poor ettiquette to play just short of a green when the group in front are still putting and very offputting for them when the ball lands with a thump a few yards behind (and as already mentioned if you get a flyer or career best etc.......)
2. Yes

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree, with hindsight, I'd have waited a little longer to play my shot, but at the time, both my partner and myself thought it was OK. I think it would also have been easier to wait if I didn't have two groups on the tee behind me, regardless of whose fault it is that they are there.

One thing I do want to clear up is that I don't go round firing the ball at people in front.
The green on this hole is long (35 yards) and narrow, and the pin was cut at the back. So whilst my ball ended 10-15 yards short of the green, it was still 40-45 yards short of the guys in front.
Also I was playing a 3 wood, not a 7 iron, so its not like my ball pitched where it finished, it was rolling up to that point.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok guys answer me this then if this was a 320yard par 4 & you were on the green & somebody hits a drive up 300-305.. is that as bad ??

we have a 316yard, sometimes driveable, par 4. Most who can drive it will still have pop at it while guys are putting out. Most dont mind as balls will generally only roll on slowly and we usually admire the shot.

Chris

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok guys answer me this then if this was a 320yard par 4 & you were on the green & somebody hits a drive up 300-305.. is that as bad ??

we have a 316yard, sometimes driveable, par 4. Most who can drive it will still have pop at it while guys are putting out. Most dont mind as balls will generally only roll on slowly and we usually admire the shot.

Chris
yep exactly Chris , same at our place .. was the same with the OP, ok it was his 2nd to par 5 but his 3 wood ran up close to the green, he didnt fly it there on the full .. yet most thought he probably should have waited , im kinda the same to be honest , par 4 it would have been yeah good shot , par 5 mayb you should have waited to play 2nd , just wondered what people thought of the same result but from different situation ,,Thanks

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
just wondered what people thought of the same result but from different situation ,,Thanks

Funilly enough, I definitely think that you shouldn't play a 2'nd shot if you can get anywhere near the green on a par 5. It's pointless as the guys on the green are likely to see it as a hurry up at best!

Chris

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok, I am happy with the rules situation, but how about another take on bladeplayers question.

If you were in the fairway playing your shot, and the person behind played from the tee and their drive rolled up 40 yards behind you, would you be bothered?

Does it make a difference that my ball rolled up just short of the green, even though it was the same distance away? Does the boundry of the green change peoples perception as to the acceptability of my shot?

Also what margin of safe distance should you leave, if 40 yards is not enough?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok, I am happy with the rules situation, but how about another take on bladeplayers question.

If you were in the fairway playing your shot, and the person behind played from the tee and their drive rolled up 40 yards behind you, would you be bothered?

Does it make a difference that my ball rolled up just short of the green, even though it was the same distance away? Does the boundry of the green change peoples perception as to the acceptability of my shot?

Also what margin of safe distance should you leave, if 40 yards is not enough?

What people usually get pi**ed off about is the feeling that the player could button it or hit a sprinkler head and then their ball might be very dangerous when they could easily have waited a few minutes and hit safely

Chris

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What people usually get pi**ed off about is the feeling that the player could button it or hit a sprinkler head and then their ball might be very dangerous when they could easily have waited a few minutes and hit safely

Chris

I did button it, and I was still 40 yards short of the guys.

I was no longer referring to my situation, as I am happy with what I did at the given time, although anyone here can make me out to be a villain if that's what they choose to do.
I am happy in the fact that at the time, I thought it was OK to go, my playing partner thought it was fine, and later on when chatting on another tee the group immediately behind who were waiting on the tee at the time and saw all the action unfold thought it was fine.

We all have different perceptions of danger - for example some people will think what I did was terrible and then get in a car and break the speed limit. I've also had tee shots behind roll past me, yet I wasn't worried, a rolling golf ball didn't seem scary to me.
So what I am curious about, is what is the general perception of a safe margin for the group in front to be from your expected shot, before you play?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
yes the guy is a knob for interfering with your ball,

I know somebody who did this at Tyrrells Wood one day.
We were standing on the 18th tee (which is positioned behind the 17th green).
Ball came flying through the green, no shout of fore, and clattered into our golf bags at a fair old lick.
If it had hit any of us, it would have been bloody painful.
Whilst I won't mention any names, I was surprised that the guy did this as he is normally a mild mannered, grey haired, vertically challenged, Kent based, left handed player who's club has two courses (East & West).
I didn't think he had it in him.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Whilst I won't mention any names, I was surprised that the guy did this as he is normally a mild mannered, grey haired, vertically challenged, Kent based, left handed player who's club has two courses (East & West).
I didn't think he had it in him.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

It's not Murph then?

Chris

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
The green on this hole is long (35 yards) and narrow, and the pin was cut at the back. So whilst my ball ended 10-15 yards short of the green, it was still 40-45 yards short of the guys in front.
It strikes me that the guy in front must have been very annoyed if he interrupted his putting stroke to walk 45 yards back to the ball, tee it up and return the 45 yards to carry on his game.