rules query

Wheyayeman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would say if u can play any kind of shot from under the conifer then you are entitled to relief from the the rabbit scrapping within 1 club length of the nearest point, however that may be further under the conifer

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the ball is playable, then free relief from scrapings within 1 club length, not nearer the hole, blah, blah .

If it's not playable, then no free relief so a penalty drop (within 2 club lengths).

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say if u can play any kind of shot from under the conifer then you are entitled to relief from the the rabbit scrapping within 1 club length of the nearest point, however that may be further under the conifer

This has always been a contentious rule, or rather the exception to the rule. Does any kind of shot include the possibilty, say, of moving the ball a few inches with a putter?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
The rule is worded like this.....
Exception: A player may not take relief under this Rule if (a) it is clearly unreasonable for him to make a stroke because of interference by anything other than an abnormal ground condition or (b) interference by an abnormal ground condition would occur only through use of an unnecessarily abnormal stance, swing or direction of play.

Of course "unreasonable" is up for debate but I suppose you have to consider what you would actually do if the scraping wasn't there and just be honest about it. In the example above, whould the possibility of moving the ball a few inches with a putter really be a "reasonable" option if it was obvious that an unplayable drop would likely be better for the player. If it isn't then no free relief. It's a difficult one though and there is so much to be potentially gained.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unplayable can only be declared by the player. Its up to him alone to decide. Not anyone else in the group. That in its self, can pose problems.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rule is worded like this.....
Exception: A player may not take relief under this Rule if (a) it is clearly unreasonable for him to make a stroke because of interference by anything other than an abnormal ground condition or (b) interference by an abnormal ground condition would occur only through use of an unnecessarily abnormal stance, swing or direction of play.

Of course "unreasonable" is up for debate but I suppose you have to consider what you would actually do if the scraping wasn't there and just be honest about it. In the example above, whould the possibility of moving the ball a few inches with a putter really be a "reasonable" option if it was obvious that an unplayable drop would likely be better for the player. If it isn't then no free relief. It's a difficult one though and there is so much to be potentially gained.

I will forward this to him. He was playing in a three ball today, one of the three hit his tee shot under a very large conifer and, in my mates opinion, he would have struggled to make any contact with the ball if he had used his driver laid flat on his face. He said that if he had taken a clubs length relief, he would have had to climb into the tree to drop it.
Anyhoo, the third member permitted him to take relief, my mate disagreed and the rest of the round was played under a cloud.
At least he will be vindicated with his interpretation.