rules on i phone gps

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If i am playing in a winter league or comp against someone that is using a gps on i phone is it allowed and what is the result if it is used and its illegal?

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
If i am playing in a winter league or comp against someone that is using a gps on i phone is it allowed and what is the result if it is used and its illegal?

You may have just reopened the can of worms!

As far as I know you can't as the R&A don't allow.... However I also think Local Rules may apply as I have been informed that my clubs allows it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You need a LR to allow DMD's but this only allows conforming DMD's to be used and the iPhone doesn't - simples
What you do now - let the Committee sort it.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I believe the answer is incorporated in The Rules of Golf.

To summarise, a mobile phone can only be used as a DMD if the device has no apps which can inform on wind speed, direction, temperature, slope etc. That applies even in the event the apps are switched off - to conform the device HAS to have the apps uninstalled. Given devices like the iPhone have these apps pre-installed, and they cannot be removed, it therefore follows that most smartphones will be non conforming when used as DMD's.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
iPhone illegal for comp use as gps end of no can of worms or pop corn needed.

Unless we discuss the actual pros and cons of the rule............ :mmm:

burnett

Visit site
I have been researching this recently. In 2006 the rules were changed to allow gps devices if no non conforming apps etc are not used (can be installed)

In 2012 this changed to gps devices being allowed only if these apps were not installed. As the iPhone cannot have the compass, weather or internet browser removed it is no longer legal for comp unless local rules state otherwise.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been researching this recently. In 2006 the rules were changed to allow gps devices if no non conforming apps etc are not used (can be installed)

In 2012 this changed to gps devices being allowed only if these apps were not installed. As the iPhone cannot have the compass, weather or internet browser removed it is no longer legal for comp unless local rules state otherwise.

complete tosh - sorry but your post can only be described that way - and the rules did not change in 2012.

from the article you quote -

"Regarding specific apps, there are some that you may not have on your device, whether you use them or not. For example, green slope-reading capability is not permitted on dedicated GPS or laser rangefinders, nor is it permitted on smartphones and other multi-function electronic devices, says Rich. Simply having a green-slope reading app or functionality on your device is enough to make it non-conforming, and to disqualify the golfer.

However, a conforming golf GPS smartphone app that provides distances is still permitted."

The first paragraph. quoting Rich, is the rules - the following sentence simply doesn't meet with the previous paragraph at all. It's an article put together by people who don't know what they are talking about but are trying to suggest they do.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Iphone 3GS onwards has fundamental built in capabilities that render it non-conforming, so cannot be used for GPS under the Local rule allowed for in The Rules of Golf.

If you notice someone using one, you should point it out immediately so that any penalty they may be due is minimised and to prevent your own tacit agreement to waive Rules of Golf - the penalty for which is DQ!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If a smartphone of whatever type has a non conforming function installed it cannot be used as a gps. EOS.

burnett

Visit site
complete tosh - sorry but your post can only be described that way - and the rules did not change in 2012.

from the article you quote -

"Regarding specific apps, there are some that you may not have on your device, whether you use them or not. For example, green slope-reading capability is not permitted on dedicated GPS or laser rangefinders, nor is it permitted on smartphones and other multi-function electronic devices, says Rich. Simply having a green-slope reading app or functionality on your device is enough to make it non-conforming, and to disqualify the golfer.

However, a conforming golf GPS smartphone app that provides distances is still permitted."

The first paragraph. quoting Rich, is the rules - the following sentence simply doesn't meet with the previous paragraph at all. It's an article put together by people who don't know what they are talking about but are trying to suggest they do.

Complete tosh?

Rule amended in the 2012 rule book reads

Distance-Measuring Devices (Rule 14-3)(emphasis mine): "A multi-functional device, such as a smartphone or PDA, may be used as a distance measuring device provided it contains a distance measuring application that meets all of the above limitations (i.e., it must measure distance only). 
In addition, when the distance measuring application is being used, there must be no other features or applications installed on the device that, if used, would be in breach of the Rules, whether or not they are actually used."

If you are using a device that can perform any of the non conforming functions it can NOT be used.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Complete tosh?

Distance-Measuring Devices (Rule 14-3)(emphasis mine): "A multi-functional device, such as a smartphone or PDA, may be used as a distance measuring device provided it contains a distance measuring application that meets all of the above limitations (i.e., it must measure distance only). 
In addition, when the distance measuring application is being used, there must be no other features or applications installed on the device that, if used, would be in breach of the Rules, whether or not they are actually used."

If you are using a device that can perform any of the non conforming functions it can NOT be used.

Er.

Please identify what specific RULE changed.

The text you quoted is not a Rule of Golf

@MarkG. Forgot to include in my original post. The penalty for using a non-conforming device is DQ.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
@burnett - I am confused. Are you saying you CAN use an iPhone? But in support of your claim you quote something that clearly that you CAN'T?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Complete tosh?

yes, complete tosh

1. that rule didn't change in the 2012 edition
2. you can't have a Local Rule that makes an iPhone with a compass legal to use.