Rules of golf? Good book suggestions?

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
New to golf. Going out today for my 4th go on golf course....can't wait...hoping it goes better than the last 3 times haha.

But I was wondering if there is a good book that gives you all the rules of golf, and also etiquette of golf would be handy. I know the general rules of golf, but reading on these forums it seems I really dont know that much at all so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good book I could get. I've looked on Amazon and cant find any there so thought best would be to ask you guys on here.

Its not that important at the moment as I am just playing with my old man, but I do intend to join a club next year so I need to get up to speed with it all before I do so

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

Thanks

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is a rules of golf book, comes out every 4 years, current one is 2012-2015 so a new one must be due soon. Alternatively you can get as an app for your phone too.

Book:
http://www.randa.org/~/media/RandA/...012 Rules/72580_ROG_CLUBHOUSE_with cover.ashx

App:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rules-of-golf/id380881843?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.uk.lightmaker.theanda.rules&hl=en_GB

You may find the more you play that the decisions on the rules of golf is more helpful to understand some of the rules too

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree with previous comment that the Iphone App is very good. It's got a quiz section too so you can test yourself.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
get a free copy of the rules and pop in in your bag for reference. New versions will be out soon, no doubt free with the mag again too when available.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
The official rule book is good to have in your bag but, if you want something more readable and with a wider remit, then look out for Bill Elliott's "The Golf Bag Buddy". It's ten years old now but has sections on rules, etiquette, handicaps, tournament formats, betting etc. It's a good introduction - I got a copy from my local library.

Shep

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly off track BUT

IF you can get your hands on the R&A rules dvd it shows the rules in action , real situations & makes it so much easier to understand
Also i follow GM on Twitter they regularly post up videos of the rules which are very helpful

You could go onto GM you tube channel & search through their videos on there aswell

R&A website has a rules quiz with easy , medium & hard questions , multiple choice answers , it tells you how you did & the correct answers at the end aswell ,

Last edited:

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Slightly off track BUT

IF you can get your hands on the R&A rules dvd it shows the rules in action , real situations & makes it so much easier to understand
Also i follow GM on Twitter they regularly post up videos of the rules which are very helpful

You could go onto GM you tube channel & search through their videos on there aswell

R&A website has a rules quiz with easy , medium & hard questions , multiple choice answers , it tells you how you did & the correct answers at the end aswell ,

They have those videos in the App too. At least they most likely are the same, there are a ton of videos about situations on the App.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The is a chap that produces an easy to understand and illustrated book, along with a bag pocket size version, that's called "Do I get a drop" (www.doigetadrop.com).
Whilst they don't cover every minute detail of the rules, they do cover almost every aspect and in a logical fashion.
I fully recommend it to anybody, well worth the small outlay.

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions, there's plenty there for me to look at.

By the way. I beat my dad for the first time yesterday haha.....never knew he would be such a bad loser, he gave up after 15 holes! He was playing pretty bad though!

I beat my last score but still was dire, 124 :(, didnt help by getting on the green in 3 and 6 putting on some holes. My putting is terrible!!

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some great links here to help. I would also agree with keeping a copy in your golf bag however I would stick it in a sandwich bag or small plastic bag unless your golf bag is 100% waterproof.

You don't want the pages sticking together.