Rules & How to learn them.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I have a decent grasp of the rules - but would like to be better. So, for those on here who have the best knowledge, how did you learn them. Was it just reading,reading and reading again the rulebook. Or did you have a systematic method of getting things to sink in and stay in the brain. The rule book is a bit "dry", so the reading over method, isnt working that well (yet).

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One tip: never trust your memory. No matter how simple the question always look it up. And read every cross reference, every time.

Understand the principle behind each rule. If you analyze how a particular rule serves one of the principles you will be doing good.

Learn the structure of the rules. A good rule official is not one who knows the answer. He knows where to find it.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
One tip: never trust your memory. No matter how simple the question always look it up. And read every cross reference, every time.

Understand the principle behind each rule. If you analyze how a particular rule serves one of the principles you will be doing good.

Learn the structure of the rules. A good rule official is not one who knows the answer. He knows where to find it.

The latter bit is certainly something I do (or don't, if you see what I mean). Never remember things you don't need to. Just remember where the answer is.

I wonder if learning the structure of the rules is/was a common strand across those who have the wider grasp of them?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

Good point- I'm trying to learn the right question to ask myself and the rules, and the right terms to use
Spent ages failing to find a rule until i realised that it's a flagstick, not a pin.
And animal dropping are classed as Dung, not all the other terms I tried!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Visit the R&A website, there you will find a Rules Quiz which has three levels, easy, moderate and difficult, all with multiple choice answers. Give it a try.

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-Quiz.aspx

I prefer the USGA rules web site. Easier to read the questions properly as they don't seem to use the wording to trick you. I did 10 advanced questions four times today and marks were 7, 7, 6, and 10.

Also, I always check up any rules query that occur in my games or that I hear about.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think I have a decent grasp of the rules - but would like to be better. So, for those on here who have the best knowledge, how did you learn them. Was it just reading,reading and reading again the rulebook. Or did you have a systematic method of getting things to sink in and stay in the brain. The rule book is a bit "dry", so the reading over method, isnt working that well (yet).

There's a short section how to use the rule book, worth reading. Understanding the index at the back and that the rules order is pretty much sequential (e.g 10 is order of play, 11 teeing ground, 12 to 15 are playing the ball, 16 you reach the green...) can help find rules and get to know key words that'll appear the index.

I did an introductory course and also visited with a rules official for a day of practical rules on the course. Need to do an advanced one really with the exam to be allowed to shadow and then officiate.

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Have a search for "Golf Rules Illustrated" on large online booksellers, it gets good reviews. Like you I find it easier to look at a picture rather than read the rather dry R&A book.