(Rules) a lost ball question

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi all.
As a new player, I have a question.
I am aware that if you know your ball may have strayed then you should hit a provisional ball in case you are unable to find your original shot.

But, as has happened to me a few times now, what happens if you play your ball over the brow of a hill & are then unable to find it?
You cannot return to the position you played the shot, as this would hold up the following players.

I have looked in the rules for this, but could not see it mentioned.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all.
As a new player, I have a question.
I am aware that if you know your ball may have strayed then you should hit a provisional ball in case you are unable to find your original shot.

But, as has happened to me a few times now, what happens if you play your ball over the brow of a hill & are then unable to find it?
You cannot return to the position you played the shot, as this would hold up the following players.

I have looked in the rules for this, but could not see it mentioned.

You've pretty much answered your own question.

You should return to the point you played your last shot and play another ball under penalty. That is what the provisional ball is for. If you fear you may have lost your ball play a provo.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know what the OP is getting at.
I've played courses with blind shots, you think you've hit it down the middle, it's kicked hard one way into the clag and it's gone. You have no idea where to look.
The only answer is to play the shot again and if need be, let the following group play through.

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes, that is exactly what I mean.
I have hit a decent shot over the brow of a hill only to find that the ball has vanished & is nowhere to be found.

I didn't realise that the only option open to me was to got back the position of the original shot & play it again with a 1x shot penalty.

Thanks.