Rule Query - Matchplay Pairs

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did something stupid today in my pairs match and wanted to know whether we got the ruling right between the 4 of us.

My partner sunk his putt and I picked up my marker thinking that his score was good enough for the win. I was guilty of not paying attention to who was where for what. As soon as I picked the marker up everyone was saying no no no and realising my error I put the marker back down to where it laid.

Before I took my putt the opponents said we better call that a half regardless what you do with your putt. I sank my 5 footer for a par and what would have been a won hole.

I guess because my partner already holed a 5 for a half that my foul did not jeopardise that. Was that right?

Hypothetically if my partner had missed his putt and I did the same thing we would have lost the hole I suppose. with 2 sixes?

If the shoe was on the other foot I wonder what I would have done?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think, that picking up your marker is the same as moving your ball, therefore, replace the marker with a one stroke penalty and play on.
In which case what was a par putt would now be a putt for bogey.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
1 stroke pen for moving marker. Oh and if you put the marker back in the wrong position another 1 stroke pen. Just been having a look in the rules.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for a minute today I was thinking that they were being gracious agreeing a half. A moment of panic because I thought my action resulted in a loss of hole!!! Despite my partners 5 being good for a half.

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
the only way you would get away with moving your marker was if it was unintentional.if you move it by accident you can replace it with no penalty.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup one stroke penalty as covered by Rule 20-1. Decision 20-1/8 covers this exact thing.

Q A player, mistakenly believing he has won a hole, picks up his ball-marker. What is the ruling?

A The player incurs a one-stroke penalty (Rule 20-1) and must replace his ball.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
the only way you would get away with moving your marker was if it was unintentional.if you move it by accident you can replace it with no penalty.

Well up to a point.

Rule 20-1 Lifting and Marking states

"If a ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved in the process of lifting the ball under a Rule or marking its position, the ball or ball-marker must be replaced. There is no penalty, provided the movement of the ball or ball-marker is directly attributable to the specific act of marking the position of or lifting the ball. Otherwise, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke under this Rule or Rule 18-2a."

See also Decision 20-1/15 - Meaning of “Directly Attributable” in Rules 20-1 and 20-3a

"Q. What is meant by the phrase “directly attributable to the specific act” in Rules 20-1 and 20-3a?

A. In Rule 20-1 the phrase means the specific act of placing a ball-marker behind the ball, placing a club to the side of the ball, or lifting the ball such that the player's hand, the placement of the ball-marker or the club, or the lifting of the ball causes the ball or the ball-marker to move.

In Rule 20-3a the phrase means the specific act of placing or replacing a ball in front of a ball-marker, placing a club to the side of a ball-marker or lifting the ball-marker such that the player's hand, the placement of the ball or club, or the lifting of the ball-marker causes the ball or the ballmarker to move.

Under either Rule, any accidental movement of the ball or the ball-marker which occurs before or after this specific act, such as dropping the ball or ball-marker, regardless of the height from which it was dropped, is not considered to be “directly attributable” and would result in the player incurring a penalty stroke."

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-A...cisionId=54505885-0A9E-4966-871B-EEFD5F5E05D9

Remember the incident where Poulter's marker moved when he dropped his ball on it and he was pinged.