Rule 3-2 and rule 32

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
guys
hello!
apologies if I am being totally thick however:
rule 3-2 states that a competitor is DQd if they do not post a score at a hole
rule 32 says that stableford is a 'form' of strokeplay (not sure what is meant by 'form') and the competitor can return a score of 0 if they are one over fixed score or no score returned.

CONGU use stableford/nett double bogey adjustments to work out handicaps in UK

The handicapping systems simply returns me as NR, and if I scored well, I can still get a handicap cut. Obviously as I cant post a gross for the round then I am unable to win the competition.

so...if I am playing a medal round and make a mess of a hole and decide to NR that hole - should I be DQd or NRd?

are the two rules - 3-2 and 32 incompatible?

thanks! huge apologies if this has been debated before - I did a search and couldn't find anything
;)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
guys
hello!
apologies if I am being totally thick however:
rule 3-2 states that a competitor is DQd if they do not post a score at a hole
rule 32 says that stableford is a 'form' of strokeplay (not sure what is meant by 'form') and the competitor can return a score of 0 if they are one over fixed score or no score returned.

CONGU use stableford/nett double bogey adjustments to work out handicaps in UK

The handicapping systems simply returns me as NR, and if I scored well, I can still get a handicap cut. Obviously as I cant post a gross for the round then I am unable to win the competition.

so...if I am playing a medal round and make a mess of a hole and decide to NR that hole - should I be DQd or NRd?

are the two rules - 3-2 and 32 incompatible?

thanks! huge apologies if this has been debated before - I did a search and couldn't find anything
;)

Rule 32 and 3-2 aren't incompatible at all. 32 simply alters application of DQ penalties when playing in a Stableford competition. See 32-2. In effect failure to return a score at a hole is still a in effect a DQ under 3-2 but under Rule 32-2b you are only disqualified for the hole where this took place rather than the full comp.

Under the rules there are 2 types of golf. Match play and Stroke. Stableford is a form in the sense that the rules (and therefore penalties) for stroke play apply.

In a regular stroke play competition where every shot counts rule 32 doesn't apply and failure to return a score at a hole will result in DQ from the competition.

For handicap purposes your status in the competition doesn't really matter as long as you have played under the rules of golf on a qualifying course.

Despite the fact the competition may require a full stroke score to be returned for prizes it doesn't stop you returning a card for handicap purposes in which Clause 19 of Congu (Stableford Point/Nett double bogey adjustment) can be applied. I feel the confusion is coming from trying to read the Rules of Golf and CONGU as a set of rules together when they should be considered separately.

From the info of what are talking about recording on the card DQ/NR are basically interchangeable. Recording an NR however keeps things clearer for handicapping purposes in the sense you haven't done anything major.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
:thup: :thup:

Congu handicapping basically considers every competition to be a handicap one, irrespective of whether it's Medal or Stableford. The only difference is that your N/R is considered as an 'outside buffer' result when calculating CSS.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rule 32 and 3-2 aren't incompatible at all. 32 simply alters application of DQ penalties when playing in a Stableford competition. See 32-2. In effect failure to return a score at a hole is still a in effect a DQ under 3-2 but under Rule 32-2b you are only disqualified for the hole where this took place rather than the full comp.

Under the rules there are 2 types of golf. Match play and Stroke. Stableford is a form in the sense that the rules (and therefore penalties) for stroke play apply.

In a regular stroke play competition where every shot counts rule 32 doesn't apply and failure to return a score at a hole will result in DQ from the competition.

For handicap purposes your status in the competition doesn't really matter as long as you have played under the rules of golf on a qualifying course.

Despite the fact the competition may require a full stroke score to be returned for prizes it doesn't stop you returning a card for handicap purposes in which Clause 19 of Congu (Stableford Point/Nett double bogey adjustment) can be applied. I feel the confusion is coming from trying to read the Rules of Golf and CONGU as a set of rules together when they should be considered separately.

From the info of what are talking about recording on the card DQ/NR are basically interchangeable. Recording an NR however keeps things clearer for handicapping purposes in the sense you haven't done anything major.

thenks
still find it odd
I think its the use of the word 'disqualified' that is bothering me - that normally means the competitor has done something really bad!
I just cant get my head round why CONGU rule 19 means the competitor gets a NR and not a DQ in handicapping systems...! I assume that I just let the handicap system do its thing tho and there is no need to go in to the competition and DQ anyone who didn't score at a hole
;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
thenks
still find it odd
I think its the use of the word 'disqualified' that is bothering me - that normally means the competitor has done something really bad!
I just cant get my head round why CONGU rule 19 means the competitor gets a NR and not a DQ in handicapping systems...! I assume that I just let the handicap system do its thing tho and there is no need to go in to the competition and DQ anyone who didn't score at a hole
;)
The more competition rounds recorded, the more likely the handicap will be accurate. CONGU want to encourage players to complete rounds rather than packing in part way through just because they have had a blow up on an early hole.

There is a table of DQable offences that are accepted for handicap purposes to enable more scores to be collected.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I must admit - I am struggling to see any difference between the two concepts 'non return' and 'disqualification'
wonder why CONGU decided to use NR and not DQ for the rule 3-2 infringement...? I might write to them and ask them ;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must admit - I am struggling to see any difference between the two concepts 'non return' and 'disqualification'
wonder why CONGU decided to use NR and not DQ for the rule 3-2 infringement...? I might write to them and ask them ;)

The Rules of Golf CONGU do not require a player to hole out (or even start a particular hole) in a Stableford Competition.

CONGU cannot change that. A player cannot be DQd for not holing out in a stableford.
Nor can they change the penalty of DQ under 3-2 in a normal stroke play competition (often call a medal). A player who does not hole out is DQd.

However, the score of player who is DQd under 3-2 (in a medal) must be returned and used for handicap purposes and the players score will be adjusted to count the score as a net double bogey. See CONGU Clause 17-1c and Appendix P.

Last edited: