Royal St George's

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Going with 9 mates to play the classic three next week - Royal St George's, Prince's and Cinque Ports, staying on site.

Any advice to get the most from it?

I believe a spotter is "recommended" at St George's - £60 + tip. Worth it? How much should the tip be?
Also Cinque Ports states shorts must be accompanied by knee length socks. Not looking for comments on the rights and wrongs, just whether they impose it!

Thanks for any nuggets.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Going with 9 mates to play the classic three next week - Royal St George's, Prince's and Cinque Ports, staying on site.

I believe a spotter is "recommended" at St George's - £60 + tip. Worth it? How much should the tip be?
Also Cinque Ports states shorts must be accompanied by knee length socks. Not looking for comments on the rights and wrongs, just whether they impose it!

Thanks for any nuggets.
never heard of a spotter, but i woudl tip at least £30 for a caddy on top of the fee.

D

Deleted member 21258

Played RSG and RCP twice and both are long socks courses and enforce it, when I went, I just wore trousers.

You do not need a spotter for RSG, there are blind shots, line wise the worst is the one towards the princes lodges , a yardage booklet gives the lines iirc for the blind shots but not really a problem.

Have fun, couple of great courses you have lined up

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Don’t worry if you don’t have any knee length socks at Cinque Ports. They will sell you a pair for £17 in the pro shop !!

Cracking courses. RSG’s is definitely in my top five, and Cinque Ports is not too far behind.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When playing Princes, make sure one of the 9s you play is on the new Himalayas layout. Very nice imo and a huge improvement on what was there before.

RSG and RCP, take plenty of balls in your bag and hope the weather is ok.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Enjoy it, RCP and RSG are by far the better courses but I cant see the need for a spotter although, as has been said, there are one or two blind shots but if money is no object ........

Personally I love RCP most but RSG has a certain feeling and it's great to play so near in time to the Open 😋

No way will either of the two will bend any of their rules so dont even think of trying

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Enjoy it, RCP and RSG are by far the better courses but I cant see the need for a spotter although, as has been said, there are one or two blind shots but if money is no object ........

Personally I love RCP most but RSG has a certain feeling and it's great to play so near in time to the Open 😋

No way will either of the two will bend any of their rules so dont even think of trying
Spotter would be handy when you are putting Chris.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Thanks for any nuggets.

I don't know about a spotter, but the spotted dick certainly is, as is the rest of the carvery. If you haven't booked lunch I'd do it, well worth putting a jacket & tie on for.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
never heard of a spotter, but i woudl tip at least £30 for a caddy on top of the fee.
Spotter = Fore-Caddie

Yep, both apply 'long socks' rule rigoously. It would be 'poor form' (aka seriously rude) to try to bypass that rule!

Enjoy!

Btw. RSG Dormy house is quite an experience too! Opening the curtains is a joy!

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Spotter would be handy when you are putting Chris.

To be fair Rich, I putted from off the green on the 18th to stuff BlueinMunich and Murphthemog to a 1down defeat against me and the fantastic Wookie. Blue congratulates me every time I see him for that putt 😉

D

Deleted member 15344

Enjoy it’s a great little trip

RSG is a stunning course , prob has some of the toughest holes I have played. Greens are excellent and bunkering brutal

I would prefer to play RCP though - just such a lovely course with some cracking holes

Princes is a great little starter - good fun and can be tough

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Princes is brilliant.

The Himalayas is a great new redesign.

RSG & RCP are also great. I think RCP has a few really bland holes though. (1 & 18 are both pretty average)

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Get the course planner at RSG as, in my experience, on a couple of holes it might be difficult to know where the second shot should be to (more than one green in sight) and on a couple of holes it could be a struggle to work out which way the next tee is.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I remember my first visit to Princes.... I looked longingly over the fence too! But Princes is work a trip in it's own right. But play next door too and RCP and you can't go wrong!

The first golf courses I ever saw were the tree lined Surrey courses like Silvermere (!) and St G's Hill... so a visit to a proper old links is a special treat for a landlubber!