Royal Dornoch Struie Course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played on a beautiful sunny Friday at the beginning of October and played as on of my Tain Member reciprocal at the winter rate (£5). As the course was not busy that day was allowed to play from the white Championship tees.

The first is a down hill blind tee shot over a hill to a raised green (359), hit a great drive, and sand wedge to two feet for birdie, which was nice.
2nd is a very short par 3 of only 124 yards but only a very light breeze meant this was reached with only a gap wedge.

The 3rd (road hole) is next to the caravan park where I was joined by an American Gentleman who had just been to the Rider Cup and was spending the week playing the local courses. I asked him to join me and he was happy to. This hole is a short is par 4 but has a small burn crossing the fairway at about 240-50 yards, so you need to carry this or lay up. I chose to go for it as did the other guy and both made it over and was rewarded with just wedge to the green. The 4th is a dogleg par 4 at 396. There was still plenty of run on the fairways and again it was just a wedge to the green.

5th Again a par 4 of 399 yards with a plantation of Pine trees down the left and a road down the right. The fairway narrows 100 yards shot of the green with a couple of tree’s on the right.

6 is back the other side of the trees with a pond right. A real sucker pin position here, flag was just off the front edge, so short would have been fine. I went for the middle putted off the front edge of the green and racked up a 5.

7 is again a straight forward par 4 of 347.

The 8th is a tricky par 3 of 176 to a green well protected by bunkers, which I visited, but still got up and down for par. At this point the wind started to get up so had a nice tail wind for the par 5 9th which is 545. This is a great hole as you tee off down towards the Dornoch Firth. I hit a great drive here and out drove my new American friend by 50-60 yards. Wind had really picked up now and was able to hit a 5 iron which went though the green, but still made birdie.

One more hole with the wind the 429 yard 10th then you turn back into the wind.
This is where your game really starts some try holes all into the wind. 11th is a lay up shot of a big hump, 12 is a short par 4 242 yard of the white par 3 off yellow. However it has water all the way down the left which is only in play off the whites. Still hit driver and wedge.

On to the stroke index one 13th at 527 all into the wind. I hit a great drive a nailed 3 wood and a 7 iron to reach.
You then go out on to the flatter area of the course with 3 holes running along side each other on of which is the 3rd and last par 5 at 527 yards all into the wind on this day you have to take into account of the road and burn running across the fairway. Again was a drive, 3 wood and wedge to reach.

Not far now. The 18th is a very tricky closing hole all uphill into the wind. Left is a no no as there is a house here backing onto the course and anything left side of the green will run off down the slope. I hit a 5 iron and made it to the back edge.

The course was in superb condition and the greens were excellent. Had a great day even met a nice American chap. Well worth a game if you travel to Royal Dornoch to play the Championship course. If it windy you will need to play your best to tame this course. I shot a gross 77 and it’s a par 70 course. :D :D

John the American was a 3 handicap and shot a 78 gross. :D :D :D :D

T

thecraw

Can you stop posting these reviews of fantastic links courses, all your doing is making me jealous and if that's the case you'll be sleeping in your car at Machrihanish while we all enjoy the hotel and an extra £10 in the kitty!!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You're lucky someone beat me to the Brora one. The course is normally very good, but this year they got the assistant head green keeper from the Carnegie Club and he has made a real difference. The course is just superb particularly the greens. Shame about the cows and sheep. The cows F*ck the bunkers up, they get stuck and are too stupid to just walk out the low side and try climbing up the faces of the bunkers. The sheep just crap everywhere.:rolleyes: