Royal County Down

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every time I see it on tv I really really want to play there. To me it just looks so pure.

Checked the green fees and it’s £425 per round or £575 for 2 rounds in a day.

2 rounds in a day is appealing but imagine if the day comes and it’s lashing down ??????

Anyone been fortunate enough to play ? If so, is it as good as it looks?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Every time I see it on tv I really really want to play there. To me it just looks so pure.

Checked the green fees and it’s £425 per round or £575 for 2 rounds in a day.

2 rounds in a day is appealing but imagine if the day comes and it’s lashing down ??????

Anyone been fortunate enough to play ? If so, is it as good as it looks?
I’d pay that no problem, it would be all about the day for me, couple of drams before heading out and soaking it all in 😀

IanMcC

Visit site
I don't think I would pay £425 to play anywhere. I believe the most I've paid was 350 dollars at Banff, but that included club and buggy hire.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was fortunate to play it as a guest.
Lovely course, my problem with paying the full price other than the effect on my pocket is that if I was having an off day, I'd be a bit fed up .

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yea as well as the Annesley course many times too. Being local we got on for £50 or £60 (cant remember exactly but used our GUI cards) but it was an absolute steal for June time a few years back. It really is somewhere special and some of the bunkers have to be seen in the flesh.

sunshine

Visit site
The problem I have with paying a massive green fee for a links course (or actually any course in the UK) is you roll the dice with the weather, even in summer. Look at the deluge you guys experienced at the forum day last week - I played Worplesdon the day before and it was sunny and 22 degrees. I was in Florida earlier this year and I felt more comfortable shelling out in the knowledge it was going to be warm and sunny.

The other reason, which is personal to me, is sometimes my swing is not there and I struggle off the tee. Manageable at a parkland but torture at a links course where there is thick rough off the tee and I'm looking for lost balls and hitting provisionals. I'm only prepared to fork out £200 (let alone £400) if I feel I'm going to be striking it well and no chance of drowning.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Apologies, as I've made this point before, but you have to take into account travel and accommodation costs as well.
£575 for 36 holes in a day means, at the very least, 1 overnight stay plus your food etc etc...
That 36 holes becomes nearly double the cost.
Fine if you're prepared and able to pay it....but, unless you live close, it ain't £575 for 36 holes....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem I have with paying a massive green fee for a links course (or actually any course in the UK) is you roll the dice with the weather, even in summer. Look at the deluge you guys experienced at the forum day last week - I played Worplesdon the day before and it was sunny and 22 degrees. I was in Florida earlier this year and I felt more comfortable shelling out in the knowledge it was going to be warm and sunny.

The other reason, which is personal to me, is sometimes my swing is not there and I struggle off the tee. Manageable at a parkland but torture at a links course where there is thick rough off the tee and I'm looking for lost balls and hitting provisionals. I'm only prepared to fork out £200 (let alone £400) if I feel I'm going to be striking it well and no chance of drowning.
Agreed. Would always be my concern in paying in excess of £150 for a round of golf. I find it hard not to let my standard of play affect my enjoyment. If I'm having a bad swing day and shoot 97 having paid £175 or something I'd be mortified. Plus the weather as you say, you'd feel committed to slog it out in the pouring rain. It's tough to justify.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
There's a thread somewhere else about joining a GUI club on the cheap and then entering the Mourne Golf Week to play at RCD.

There used to be a great 3 day event playing RCD, Ardglass and one other local course which was great value, just under £200 for 3 days. I played it about 7-8 years ago but they don't seem to run it anymore.

sunshine

Visit site
Agreed. Would always be my concern in paying in excess of £150 for a round of golf. I find it hard not to let my standard of play affect my enjoyment. If I'm having a bad swing day and shoot 97 having paid £175 or something I'd be mortified. Plus the weather as you say, you'd feel committed to slog it out in the pouring rain. It's tough to justify.

I played Hoylake in torrential rain and gale force winds. It wasn't enjoyable at the time, but we'd paid up front and travelled to Liverpool. Learned a hard lesson about committing to UK golf holidays that week :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think I would pay £425 to play anywhere. I believe the most I've paid was 350 dollars at Banff, but that included club and buggy hire.
Very envious. We drove through it this summer, animal viewing at dusk, and it looked fabulous. We didn't quite have the time to play it but if I get the chance again, I'd be all over it. Did you enjoy it?

Not first thing in the morning though, that's bear time I believe 🐻😳 (we saw a deer, cougar on a tee box and a herd of elk running up a fairway 😍)