Round with a few clubs

Albo

Visit site
I played this afternoon after work and played well, after the round I needed to go home and drop the wee man at football, which is just a 5 min drive from the course, as I had an hour to kill and my clubs in the car I headed back up. Just took out a 4h, 7i, 50° and putter.

Played 4 holes as course was dead, birdie on the 1st a par 4, par on the 2nd a par 5, par on the 14th a par 3 and par on the 15th a par 5.

One under for 4 holes with 4 clubs in hand, I sometimes play with a half set but never before with only 4 clubs. Found it very freeing, I had no pressure to perform and had to think about lay ups, chipping options etc.
Finished the same 4 holes 3 over with my full set earlier!!

Anyone else play with a small number of clubs?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driver, 7 iron , gw ,putter.
Play a lot like that ,teaches you to hit shots you normally would not do.
It’s very enjoyable when you get it right.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Used to just go around the back 9 at Torvean of an evening with just a 6 iron before it moved and play hickory clubs now and again and the set I use at the moment is only 4 clubs. It's good for your game to be able to hit lots of different shots with some clubs. My club also has a couple of 3 club comps and it's not unheard of for guy s to shoot below handicap or pbs in these.

John Evans 9

Visit site
We have a 5-club comp every year from the yellow tees. This is played as a handicap qualifier and the winner generally has 40 points or more.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went down to 9 clubs over winter when carrying, but never really play with less than that. I usually keep my eye open for a 3 club or 4 club competition but I've managed to miss them so far - or maybe my club's not had any, not sure. I would like to give one a go. For some reason I never want to just do it off my own back though.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played 9 holes a few weeks back with just a 50° wedge which, for me, is a maximum of 110 yard club. Most holes I was on in one shot more than regulation, surprising how many straight shots I hit.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve got a mate who hits his driver really well off the deck. He’s adamant that, at some point, he is going to shoot 36 points playing with only his driver. I did point out he might want to steer well clear of bunkers!

I’ve had some of my best knocks in 4-club challenges at ours. Swinging well within myself makes an enormous difference to club head control. What a pity I can’t take the same principle to a round with 14 clubs ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing with a half set is a great way to improve your golf.
You leant to hit each club with different lofts or punch shots to add or subtract length.

It also takes away uncertainty as to which club to use eg sometimes you cannot decide between a 6 or a 7 much easier if that choice becomes a 5 or a 7.

I often go on our 9 hole course with just two 5 or a 6 and 52 or 54 wedge.

tobybarker

Visit site
I played with just a 9 iron (had been intending on visiting the practise field but it was off limits) the other day (course was empty). Didn't putt, obviously, but was on the greens in regulation (allowing for my HCP) pretty much each hole. Makes you think