Rory to skip Irish Open

LGC2019

Visit site
https://www.skysports.com/golf/news...irish-open-to-focus-on-open-at-royal-portrush

So Rory has opted to skip the Irish Open this year in the lead up to The Open at Portrush. What are peoples thoughts on this? Do you think players should play in their 'home' opens? How do you think this will affect his preparation for The Open?

Personally I'm not sure either way, maybe he's trying to take some of the pressure off himself for The Open with it being at Portrush. But then I also think generally golfers should support their 'home' opens competitions. It's a big year for Rory I think, he seems to be getting back to his best and I can see him being in contention for all four majors this year.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with it for me, he doesn't want to play 3 in a row and feels that playing links the week before instead of having a week off will prepare him better. It's the open he wants to win, he'll be back at the Irish open in future years but to win the Open at home is a big draw for him.

You can see why last year he tried to get the Scottish open to switch places on the schedule for this year, so that he wouldn't have had to drop it.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If he likes playing the week before a major, but not three in a row, which is what the decision infers, then I don't see many other options for him. He's been pretty good to and for the Irish Open over the years so hopefully no-one will hold a non-appearance against him.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't see this as a major issue prior to the Open in N. Ireland. Likely to be a one off and easy to make the decision this year given he will be playing in Ireland at the Open.

Obviously glad he's going to add the Scottish - but I'd imagine this is also a case of not wanting the circus to go on for 3 weeks. This way he can probably have a practice round at Portrush, then play at Scotland (probably as part of a bigger field and be a bit more under the radar) rather than being in Ireland for 3 weeks and either do a lot of personal commitments, or say no to a lot of people.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have any thoughts on this. He can do whatever he thinks is best for his game or his season. Why wouldn't he?

U

User62651

I guess he knows best and it makes sense to me. He'll look to Phil Mickelson's example in 2013 that playing and winning the Scottish Open on links the week before The Open at Muirfield was a good tactic, Phil went on to win that too and he like Rory isn't a natural links player so maybe that immediate practice tournament is what he needs going to Portrush, keep that links feel fresh in his hands and mind but dont overdo the playing at the same time by playing 3 in a row.
Darren Clarke played at Castle Stuart the week before his Open win at Sandwich in 2011 too so there's a precedent for success.

Shame for the Irish fans but they can see him in Portrush 2 weeks later.

D

Deleted member 15344

He has changed his schedule this year to play the week before each major hence playing Scotland instead of Ireland - it’s poor that media outlets are trying to make a big deal out of it and trying to string McIlroy up - why can’t they support these players , he had a great round yesterday and nothing about that instead about him not playing Ireland

LGC2019

Visit site
He has changed his schedule this year to play the week before each major hence playing Scotland instead of Ireland - it’s poor that media outlets are trying to make a big deal out of it and trying to string McIlroy up - why can’t they support these players , he had a great round yesterday and nothing about that instead about him not playing Ireland

I don't think they are trying to "string him up" but Rory McIlroy opting out of the Irish Open is news so i guess it would be strange if they didn't cover it.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Do what he likes. Can't say I'm a big fan of him personality wise, but he can do whatever he seems fit preparation wise.

Wolf

Visit site
I'm not a huge Rory fan just can't take to him, but in his defence over the years he has supported the event and even hosted, but this time around he wants to play the week before each major and has said so on record as he feels its the best prep for him, which means cutting the Irish from his schedule this year. Makes perfect sense to me why he has done it, Irish fans will see him 2 weeks later and probably a lot better prepared going into a major on a course where he already holds the course record as well.

Fair play to him for doing what's needed in this instance rather than what fans want.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm not a huge Rory fan just can't take to him, but in his defence over the years he has supported the event and even hosted, but this time around he wants to play the week before each major and has said so on record as he feels its the best prep for him, which means cutting the Irish from his schedule this year. Makes perfect sense to me why he has done it, Irish fans will see him 2 weeks later and probably a lot better prepared going into a major on a course where he already holds the course record as well.

Fair play to him for doing what's needed in this instance rather than what fans want.
This ^^ all day long, apart from I’m a fan of Rory:)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think its a poor show to be honest Irelands poster boy and not playing on a truly fantastic links course which will be more of a test than where ever the Scottish Open is this year

dronfield

Visit site
Clearly he can do what he wants and views this programme as best prep for The Open.

Just wondered if he is annoyed at McGinley's previous comments, and this is a snub, as P McG is now hosting next years Irish Open?

Rich

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Obviously Rory knows better than us how he wants to approach a major but given the circumstances we are talking about, if I was Rory I would want to play in my home Open but that’s just my way of thinking

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Totally up to him, he can't play every week and I guess it makes sense. I'd have thought the powers that be should have switched the Irish and Scottish Opens around this year though to aid decisions and costs on travel.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
While McIlroy has to choose where and when he plays and how he prepares for a major, you can't help wondering about it being a great PR opportunity missed especially as he's now based in the US and not seen in Ireland or the UK that often and by supporting his home Open would have guaranteed a big crowd boost and huge support

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
While McIlroy has to choose where and when he plays and how he prepares for a major, you can't help wondering about it being a great PR opportunity missed especially as he's now based in the US and not seen in Ireland or the UK that often and by supporting his home Open would have guaranteed a big crowd boost and huge support
It'll have big crowd any way, the likes of Rahm etc will have their own fans too.